1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Symptomatic for egg bound but isn't....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Christine44, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Christine44

Christine44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    My hen is symptomatic for being egg bound but after a rectal exam 2 convective days, I feel nothing. She moves like a penguin half the time and and moves half way between normal and penguin the other half. When just standing there she has the penguin posture and she has her feathers fluffed all the time and wings drooped. She's had a warm bath, tums, apple cider vinegar in her water and yogurt to help her out with whatever it might be. Any other ideas?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Can you post a pic of her?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She could be suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. They can appear similar to eggbinding with the penguin walk or an upright stance, poor appetite, weight loss in the chest, fullness in the lower belly and other symptoms that may vary. There also could be a large lash egg stuck up farther in the oviduct. These problems occur more commonly in hens 2 and over. As always if you have a vet to see her, it may help in diagnosis. Make sure that she is getting calcium in some form, such as crushed egg shells or oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by