Symptoms of egg bound but no egg!

JOMOranch

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
Northern California
Starting night before last of my Barred Rock hens (approx 7 months old) has all of the symptoms of being egg bound (waddling with tail down, puffy abdomen omin, straining, lethargic and withdrawn), so I was CERTAIN she was egg bound. After reading up I followed all the instructions I could find to try to help her yesterday... epsom salt soak (did it twice), tums, felt inside her cloaca and... no egg. When I moved my finger around gently she squirted out a foul smelling liquid (some green but mostly clear).

Not sure what else to do, I gave her some nutridrench and let her be. I was sure she wasn’t going to make it overnight last night as she was back and forth between doing very badly (sleeping in an odd position kind of slumped over with a very droopy head) and then seemingly doing better (alert, standing up to drink water, pecking at some food and sleeping in a normal position) and pooped out that same smelly liquid again once.

No noticeable improvement today. No droppings that I can see, but she stinks so I think she might have passed more of that liquid-y poop that’s dried on her feathers maybe. She seemed to enjoy the soak so I might do that again just to make her happy but I don’t know what else I can do. I feel really bad for her. (Recently had a several hundred dollar vet bill from another sick chicken so I’d reallllly like to avoid calling the vet again if possible.) any ideas short of calling the vet? Thank you!!

she could possibly have either a broken egg in her or internal laying. internal laying: laying eggs into the abdomen. i think the reasonable thing to do would be to call the vet. sorry to be no help.... if you want to confirm try feeling around the abdomen, is her comb pale?

Update: she definitely popped out that clear-white-green liquid it was stuck to her feathers under her vent and abdomen. She is currently soaking. What’s the treatment for internal laying or a broken egg?? D768DF76-C4D8-45E6-AA00-4C3FB691A12D.jpeg

well with a broken egg you just need to flush the vent with water like your doing now. reach up her butt and if you feel or see anything sharp remove it. can you post a pic of the poop so i might get some more info?

Hi, I am new here and came to the forums because I’ve got a hen that is acting the same way right now. Noticed her not acting normal this afternoon. Brought her inside, soaked her in epsom salt bath, dried her off and now she’s resting in a made up nesting box in my garage. She’s a leghorn, about 8 months old and has been laying for awhile. She has all the symptoms you’ve described above. Her comb isn’t pale, it’s usually bright red but is more of a darker red now...? I have no idea what else could be wrong. This is my first sick chicken.

Hi, I am new here and came to the forums because I’ve got a hen that is acting the same way right now. Noticed her not acting normal this afternoon. Brought her inside, soaked her in epsom salt bath, dried her off and now she’s resting in a made up nesting box in my garage. She’s a leghorn, about 8 months old and has been laying for awhile. She has all the symptoms you’ve described above. Her comb isn’t pale, it’s usually bright red but is more of a darker red now...? I have no idea what else could be wrong. This is my first sick chicken.
Not sure if you are still around, but I am also having this issue with no idea what is wrong with her. Did you ever figure it out?

Back
Top Bottom