Symptoms: Very labored breathing, lethargy, rattlery/murmery sounds...

That's what is so strange, most of the time she was isolated she ate really well, but she was tiny and so so light, the only thing I couldn't be sure about was the drinking which is why I started drenching.
But the last time I picked her up to give her the water I examined her breast for blisters (there weren't any) and I could really see how emaciated she was, it looked like her breast bone was about to split her skin, she weighed nothing in my hand.
I wish I knew what it was, I am so afraid it will show up in the others.
Thanks for communicating. I don't know anyone who understands my grief - other than you guys here at BYC.

hugs.gif
Sorry about your little one.

I've lost 1/3 of my chicks due to the same symptoms, I did a thread on it a while back. They were dying 1 a day some days, none other days, 2 other days. Just one or two at a time. Went a few weeks with no trouble, and the other night one of my favorite chicks... who I had nursed back to health from this problem a while back... relapsed and I took her to the vet. He said the problem I was having is a bacterial pneumonia of some sort. I had tried terramycin before and it didn't seem to stop it.

My birds, when this happens, are gasping, wheezing when it gets worse, and eventually get to a point where it's like they're going to sleep and their necks start getting kinda limber just before they die.

Maybe you have the same thing going on. I think the problem came from the hatchery, only THEIR chicks have had any problem with this. I have another batch of chicks I bought from an old farmer who hatches locally, for a quarter each. Not one single loss out of THOSE chicks, and they're being brooded with the same kind of equipment, the same way, fed the same food and water, cared for the exact same way... but I'm keepign them separate from those hatchery chicks that have had pneumonia running through them.

Back
Top Bottom