syringe question

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
I'm looking for a very slender syringe to give medications with. The only ones I can find at Tractor Supply have a fairly large barrel, even on the smallest ones. Is this the kind everyone uses? I think it's kinda big for sticking down their throat, past the breathing hole. Where would I get a more slender one? The pharmacy? Thanks.

I'm looking for a very slender syringe to give medications with. The only ones I can find at Tractor Supply have a fairly large barrel, even on the smallest ones. Is this the kind everyone uses? I think it's kinda big for sticking down their throat, past the breathing hole. Where would I get a more slender one? The pharmacy? Thanks.
There are ways around this if you can't find a syringe of a small enough diameter.
The most obvious is to attach a tube. You can buy various tubes.
One problem I've had with small diameter syringes is should one be trying to get food into a chicken then a small syringe means removing and refilling. One large syringe with a tube can solve this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/p8141717-jpg.1877446/

The smallest I have seen at TSC are 3ml. Depending on your state regulations, ask your pharmacist for a few infant syringes - most of the time they will give them for free (mine has, they were amused it was for a chicken:)).

I did order some off ebay or amazon, can't remember - they come in handy. Look for 1cc syringes without needles. If you buy "bulk" you can get them for around 12¢ ea, not too bad and they are individually packaged/sterile. I just store them in my chicken first aid box. Pippettes would be another option, but I feel like I don't have quite as much control over those as a syringe.

Thanks all! I just ordered some off Amazon, 50 per box and $0.10 each. Wonderful. I could stop at the pharmacy but they always nag at me to look into hospice for DH and so I avoid them. He may be down, but not that far down!

Try your local vet. I work at a veterinary office and have had people walk in and ask if we could spare some 1ml syringes for their birds. We usually just give a couple out because they come free with most of our liquid medications.

Back
Top Bottom