T-post advice-How far to shove the Tpost in the ground.. for pen area

Quote:
Come on ZAZ, we all work outside enough to not worry about blisters!!
lau.gif

Thanks everyone

My ground is nice and wet this week, with so much rain, iam hoping it will be easier to get them I'm myself

Xoxo

Quote:
Come on ZAZ, we all work outside enough to not worry about blisters!!
lau.gif

Blisters slow down progress and my t-post driver is old and rough just like me so i am wearing gloves to protect my hands

and don't hit yourself in the head with the driver! Last year I got a little bit to rambunctious and I ended up coming up to far with the driver and it came of the t-post and hit me in the head. If you can make that visual!
lau.gif

For cows we used to drive 8 ft t posts at least 3 feet in the ground. We changed our all wooden fences to t posts around 2002 and have to this day none have needed replacement, unless the fenceline was changed. Also, the way I put clamps on is such that they never come undone unless they rust through, and never move past a notch it was placed between. The fence mesh itself would be the most vulnerable area, breaking when hooves are placed through it, or bending to far up between posts allowing a cows head underneath, sometimes calves get out this way. The lowermost clamp is difficult to properly attach due to the ground being in the way of hands and tools, but the lowest one is the most important and must not be left loose.

If you set your corner posts in concrete (and you should), remember that the concrete should not be level with the ground or lower, but tapering up the post a bit. Otherwise rain water will settle around the base of the post and rot it at ground level.

Ask me how I know. I hired some guys to build me a fence and put some posts in for me. They filled in the holes with dry QuikCrete. They said there was enough moisture in the ground to set it up and they were right, after a few days it did cure. They had temporarily anchored the posts in place with 2x4s. Problem was, that QC settled as it cured, creating a divot all around all those posts. That was about 3 years ago. Now I have to hire somebody else to go in and dig out all that useless stupid concrete and rotted posts and reset me some new posts because my nice new fence is falling down! Which will cost me twice what I paid for the original job. Man, I hate incompetence!

Back
Top Bottom