1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Table food to chickens???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Half-a-dozen, May 27, 2007.

1. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Hello everyone again.
    Our chicks are 4 weeks old are they allowed to have some table scraps at this age?
    Also what are some foods chickens should never eat?
    Thanks

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I give my chicks hard boiled egg yolks and some bread. Mine are 4 weeks old. I haven't tried anything else yet. They just moved outside and are eating grass and bugs so I make sure they get grit.

I read today on this site that potato skins may have harmful toxins. I've also heard you need to watch the sodium/salt that the treats contain.

3. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    i agree with Southern28Chick no potato skins and no salty foods you can make them regular oatmeal for a treat and they will think they are in heaven i treat mine with oatmeal and eggs that are extra [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I just found a new goody for my girls. It's called BugFest. I got it at Lowe's in the bird seed section. It's got wheat, cracked corn, milo, millet and get this, freeze dried meal worms!! [​IMG] They went nuts for it. I just give them a little bitty handful tossed onto the ground for them to scratch around in during the day.

5. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I have always given my chickies table scraps. Anything from the kitchen that is fresh. Like tomato tops and carrot peels. They love it. If I don't chop it up one will always grab the largest piece and run like the dickens. So much entertainment!

6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Are your chicks outside ? If not, you need to add some grit to their diet to help grind up the treats. If outside, they will get plenty of grit digging around in the dirt.

Go easy on the grains and let your handful be pretty small.

I need to go look for some Bugfest ! That sounds like a great idea.

7. BigMama

BigMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2007
    Yesterday I made a fresh fruit salad and took watermelon rinds out to the girls and today it is picked clean [​IMG] , the strawberry and kiwi scraps also disappeared.

Today I cut up some celery to put in my tuna salad and fed the celery scraps to the girls, boy did they love that. I also give packaged grit free choice, but that ran out today. I think we will put some fine sand in the run for them.

I also took egg shells from last nite's scrambled eggs out to the run and they are disappearing. Does anyone know if this is a source of grit or calcium for them?

Thanks in advance,
    Melanie

Last edited: May 29, 2007
  8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    The egg shells are a source of calcium.

9. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    The egg shells are a source of calcium, but I'm pretty sure I read (in Story's maybe?) that too much extra calcium when they are little can cause bone deformitites.

Another no-no food is avacados. And I believe onions aren't too good either.

We had some left over corn on the cob and my babies are going wild over that. Its so cute watching them try to get the kernals off:cd

10. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We try to hold the scraps down, it tends to make the poo really stinky. But we do give bread scraps and corn on the cob when its left over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by