table saw talk

tdgill

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 28, 2009
Cecil Co. MD - 5Yrs. Chickens 4Yrs. Ducks
well, had to come in and have a sit. was cutting a piece of luan on the table saw and had it kick back pop up whatever. I know just enough to be dangerous. and I am more timid than i used to be which probably led to my having trouble. like holding a shotgun loosely cause you're scared of it. better to snug it up and be confident. I wasn't holding the luan down and into the fence like i should have. I went and youtubed a little refresher course to see exactly thats why I screwed up. I LOVE YOUTUBE.

Tablesaw kickback is enough to make me take a break, too.

Here's a pointer someone gave me that's kept me out of trouble:

Visualize a diagonal line between the leading edge of the saw blade and the far end (out-feed end) of the fence. Always always always push the material that direction. Industrial saws with motorized feed wheels are angled to drive the cut piece toward the fence.

ALSO: If you have a fence that locks at the front and back (horrible, but common on less expensive saws), make sure it locks down with the out-feed end a bit further (1/32" is more than enough) away than the leading (infeed) end. This helps prevent the cut piece from getting trapped between the fence and the trailing edge of the blade, where the teeth are moving UPWARDS from the table. That spot is where kickback happens, as the teeth lift the workpiece from the table and throw it at your face.

Good luck and play safely!

Since you are still able to type, I'm assuming that you still have all your fingers. (Unless your typing with your toes). Table saws are tricky, if you know what you are doing they are a great timesaver and makes projects a lot easier. Couple suggestions... Always use a sharp blade. If you start pushing the material into the blade you are asking for trouble. Use spray silicone on the table and fence surfaces to provide a slick surface to run your wood. Just spray it on and wipe it off with a paper towel to dry. Don't have the blade any higher than it needs to be. I usually have it set about 1/4" higher than the thickness of the material I am cutting. I personally do not use a blade guard, but I always have it close by and operational if needed. It helps from kickbacks because it has the little grabbers that prevent the wood from going backwards. It's harder to see the blade and trickier to do detail work with the guards on but you have a greater safety and less chance of a kickback. Also, use push sticks whenever you start feeling nervous having your fingers get close to the blade. Think about every cut you make and how the wood is going to react, look at any cupping or warping of the board that may bind on the blade. If your tired, had achohol or are on medication that makes you loupy don't use the saw. They require your full attention and respect when using them.

You know, it is amazing to me, you can get good insight and practical tips about ANYTHING on BYC! I don't plan to use a table saw anytime soon, but enjoyed the good tips non-the-less. tdgill - glad you still have fingers.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom