Table scraps for chicks??

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
When I can feed chicks table scraps???
My chicks are 3weeks old and they are having grit.
I have dog that eat my table scraps so I'm not really planing to feed table scraps to chicks.
But some stuff like leftover salad kinda stuff, my dog won't eat and feel bad to just put in the trash.

I saw a lot of people are feeding table scraps to chickens but never mentioned about chicks.

I would not give chicks table scraps. They have difficulty swallowing and digesting food that it too big for their digestive tracks. Their is a danger of choking or blocking of their digestive track if they eat something too large. Additionally, they cannot handle foods high in calcium or sodium...that's the reason you don't give them laying hen rations. Since most table scraps have salt used in their preparation...I wouldn't do it. Wait until they're older.

How old is "old enough" ???
I know I don't want to give it to them right now but when you call them "adult"??

12 weeks or so for people food "table scraps."

You can give them treats earlier, but very finely chopped, and pretty much simple foods, like scrambled or boiled eggs, shredded mozzarella cheese, peas, and of course, the small mealworms.

I cut grapes today and gave to them but they didn't care. I tried plain yogurt but that didn't work, too.
idunno.gif

Mine didn't care for any of that stuff, either. Mealworms, now those were treats. It was icky for me because I didn't want to touch the things, so I would use a fork to sort of gather a few through the wheat meal in which they're kept in the little plastic tub, then drop them into the brooder.

Grapes, when they are older and outside, are a GREAT treat!!! Chicken football!

Just understand that chicks and chickens are afraid of new things. My chicks have been afraid of yoghurt, peas, and scrambled eggs. But after a while, those foods were gone when I'd go back and check on them a few hours later.

Ohhhh, NO I don't touch worms!!!
hide.gif

I asked my kids to feed worms to chicks. They cried. Not like they don't want to touch, they don't want to feed worms.
They love worms! When they find worms in my garden, they just pick up and play with it. Slide together, swing together, put on the lap....
sickbyc.gif

My husband said we got tons of worms in compost bin. I guess I have to buy gloves.

The worms won't hurt you, and if you can't bear at all to touch them, try this.

Grab a huge pile of compost from your bin onto a sheet of plastic/plywood. Spread it out with the shovel. Pour on some warm water with a LITTLE detergent added, the worms will come to the surface. Using a spoon, work them into a bucket. Rinse with fresh water, and drop into your chickens/chicks. The worms in compost bins should be small very thin red ones, perfect for chicks.

Is it ok if chicks or chickens eat the sandy substance (No idea what it's called) in the meal worm container?

I have given my chicks finely grated broccoli stems and carrots. They really like it. Not too much though. Don't want runny poo. I have also found that a crushed ritz cracker makes a good treat. It takes forever for them to eat the tiny crumbs, but it keeps them entertained for a while.

Back
Top Bottom