1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Table scraps storage and feeding question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I am wondering how best to contain our table scraps inside the house so they don't stink up the kitchen before I feed them to the chickens? And how do I feed them the scraps? Do I toss on the ground or put in a container? What do you use?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    i just toss mine on the ground. As far as scraps idk maybe put them in a tupper ware container and put in the fridge.

3. we put ours in a bucket right outside our door and when we give it to our chickens, we toss it on the ground outside. our chickens really like fruit and fat.

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Same here.
    I have an old coffee can sitting on the deck. Lots of stuff goes in there before making it's way to my compost pile. The chickens will then scratch at the compost pile.

If there is something real obvious that I plan to give to the birds as a treat, I might simply toss it in the yard, but for the most part it goes in my compost bucket and then to my pile.

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Do you put a lid on the bucket? I don't have a deck yet but I could put a bucket in the kitchen at the back door where the deck will be. But I'd have to keep it covered to keep mice out and our cat out of it. Good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by