Table scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mollycat79, Dec 28, 2012.

1. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    So my chicks range from 2-3 months and I've got 5. I've been putting kitchen scraps out like bread, spaghetti, corn, pumpkin pulp seeds and skin, apple, bananna etc and they really only seem to eat the corn, bread and maybe spaghetti. Is this normal or will they eat a wider range of table scraps the bigger they get? They didn't like pop corn or Greek yoghurt with pearl barley either. The yoghurt might have stuck to their beaks.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    The older they get the more variety they will eat.
    And there will always be things they just don't want to eat.
    I throw everything out of the kitchen for the chickens and they still won't eat onion peels.
    (Of course, I don't blame them.)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. mollycat79

mollycat79 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Oh ok I'll just take into a heap later with hay etc what they don't eat. My cat sometimes goes into run trying to get any good tidbits like sausage etc

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Mine have their favorites and will eat those first. For instance, peas get gobbled up quick. Carrots get left...unless there are no peas! [​IMG]

5. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Mine will eat about anything. But like what was said above they do have their favorites and will eat those first and might go for the other stuff once everything is gone and they are still hungry. I even give mine some shelled peanuts. Its funny watching them eat them. they are so smart at times. they will pick up the peanut and slam it on the ground to crack it then eat the nut of of the inside and leave the shell then some of the other chickens will pick up the shell and eat it. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by