TABLE SCRAPS

I didn't feed it to them. They range on 5 acres. They found it. I heard a commotion in my flock and witnessed the disgusting! I was definitely grossed out at the time but there was very little I could do about it as the carnage lasted no more than a minute or two. Nothing awry happened afterward, no disease, no sickness, no nothing. I don't condone feeding chix gross things such as this, but if they find it, they'll probably devour it. Just a testament to how strong their stomachs are.
No I didn't intend for my post to sound like you deliberately fed it to them! Sorry!

Last edited:
Personally I’d feed it if they will eat it. Their taste buds are different than ours. They don’t like “bitter” but “hot” like in hot peppers doesn’t bother them. I don’t know how they will feel about ginger. I would not go overboard and feed them a ridiculous amount. If they can clean it up in say 15 to 20 minutes, they’ll be fine.

Many people can’t detect it but what they eat can subtly flavor the eggs. If they will eat it, it would be interesting to see if you detect a different flavor.

One thing you will notice with that mix, both the carrots and the greens should help color their egg yolks more orange. If you are getting fairly pale yolks the change should be noticeable.

I saw an article recently where someone was experimenting with enhancing eggs by diet. They are trying to load the eggs with certain flavors or nutrients so they can sell them for a high price to a specialty market. I can’t remember what flavors or nutrients they were trying for but what I remember was that they were having no luck with enhancing calcium. Feeding them more calcium did not increase the amount of calcium in the egg, it just made the egg shells thicker.

Thanks for answering so quickly Ridgerunner and for the good advice. When my girls see me coming with the big red plastic dish, they know they are in for yummy stuff. I feed them REALLY well. But, just now when I went down there, they were eager to dive in and then they backed off. They did NOT like that ginger flavor. I had some hardboiled egg in with it and they picked around to get the egg, but they just didn't care for the rest. So, I have taken up the dish and replaced their treat with fresh collards in the suet cage and mealworms. They are happy again. I am so pleased to say that from the beginning (Dec.22 2013) when they started laying, their eggs have been beautiful, hard shelled and golden yolks. I love my girls and they love me! Have a spectacular weekend
frow.gif

YES!

Should avoid salty items. I never give mine anything that we feel would make us sick, ie. moldy, rotten, etc etc. But left overs from the dinner table for the most part are OK. I got a turkey carcass from the neighbors and threw it in the run, they picked it clean. The only problem was I didnt' tell the wife I was doing it and when she saw it she thought one of our hens and died and been eaten by the others, LOL!

lau.gif
I'll bet that was a sight.

Back
Top Bottom