Tacky Coop!!!!!!

ick, too dark out now, i'll get some pics tomorrow cause man, do i have some tacky, thrown together coops
wink.png

why would using what ya have is being tacky????? some people cannot afford very nice chicken coops, they use what they have,as long as the chickens are being looked after and well taken care of roof over their head just saying

Quote:
LOL Funny you should mention that.. I entered the last tacky coop and told the story of how I have all my chickens at my parents house (my and DH currently live there now) anyhows my mom HATES chickens, so naturally its funny cause its all in her backyard.. However I was forbidden to put any chickens in the building all tho I've begged many time to let me just use it for my serama and brooders.. (which were taking up the garage, well more like taking over the garage until a few weeks ago) So I just casually placed all the pens around the building not intentional but just turned out that way.. HEY I wasn't invading the inside just all around it LOL

Quote:
All in fun!! Thats the whole point of this.. I used what I had at the time and I love seeing what others use and what kind of stuff they recycled to make theirs out of.. not to make fun of anyone, just to have fun and show off your resources. Like I said we were short on cash last year and my DH made one out of a table he had in the garage, which I was tickled with... We used what we had at the time and made do.. Just because you dont have the best of coops doesn't mean your chickens are not taking care of.. And again this is just for fun not to hurt anyones feelings.

Quote:
I'm an odd person that doesn't think that "tacky" is really all that bad. Our coop just looks random and weird. We still like it. Our new coop is being put right back on the picnic table after we are finished. It just has the features that we wanted and was built using plans. The first coop was my husband and I's first time building anything...other than a raised garden bed. The difference between offbeat and tacky is just perspective.

I understand i do notwant to affend anyone we do ot have money or the means to do better and we were looked down on on alot of things,and i have kick a whole lot of tail for people looking down on us for we are doing the best we can so i do take things real serious and in a serious matter when i read or hear thins as such.agin I appologize

I should mention that the "second coop" that I'm using for quarantine for the older hens from the new pullets is a shed with about a 20 degree tilt to the walls and a dog kennel inside. The "fence" that separates them is plastic garden fencing and some chicken wire held up with some old lawn chairs. I believe that a picnic table cloth might keep them off the deck. My husband wedged a plastic dog ball into the hole they pecked in the fencing. One second thought, I should submit a picture of this. Its construction was based on the fact that the hens primarily free range any way, we shut up the shed and block the doggie door at night and that when the Dumpling or Mole do work up the gumption to escape they just circle the house and wait at the garden gate while feasting on tomatoes. If I don't see them they start alert calling to get my attention.

Quote:
In no way was this to make fun or put people down.. I'm sure most of us have hit hard times or will at least once in our lifetimes.. Tacky isn't necessarily Bad or Ugly sometimes it just means different or unusual.... I'm sure some of these coops we'll see are goin to be made because of lack of time, people being just down right creative, liking to use resources they all ready and had and not being wasteful, and for having lack of money to buy big expensive coops or having the money to pay someone professional to do it.. and also newbies first try at ever building anything..

I hope it will also give others ideas on what they can use to build one. We see all the posts with everyone's big nice fancy coops which is great I like to see them to, but I participated and had alot of fun with the last Tacky coop contest, and also wanted to reward someone for their creativity!!

Hope everyone has fun with this and keep them coming!!

Quote:
cool deal.. I've got you and skaterXboy down as judges need one more...
All ya gotta do is help me judge at the end.. I'll prob run this til spring of next year round March or April, that way all my chickens should be laying good, and It will give quite a few people time to enter... and finish some of their Tacky coops..

By the way love the picnic table coop... I've got one my hubby built when he was in a pinch for christmas last year.. He'd thrown together a table in the garage he used for putting stuff on he was welding.. so he got the bright idea to make a coop out of it.. put wire around the bottom and built a coop part on top.. So gotta give you props.. for using what you already had been there done that and it works.. Mines a lil crooked too!! lol

Ok! Sounds good! There's going to be lots of submissions..
th.gif
Looking forward!

Back
Top Bottom