Tacoma, WA - Rescued Chickens Needing Assistance

TacomaCatLady

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2023
This morning in Tacoma, WA (on S 56th Street between Alaska and Asotin) I heard a huge kerfuffle in my side yard and my indoor cats went crazy. I looked out the window to see a coyote carrying off a chicken and two other chickens looking scared to death in my back yard. I do not keep chickens. I put on my boots and tried to wrangle the other two chickens before the coyote came back but they ran to the front of the house and went under a neighbor's truck, and I could not get them. They are small golden and brown colored chickens (not fluffy) and are making the saddest clucking sounds. I went inside to start making phone calls, when the 2 surviving chickens came up to my front door. So, I did what any reasonable and compassionate Earthling would do, I invited them in. They are now safe in my bathroom with peas and water (Farmer Google said peas were safe for them to eat) and I have now called a dozen different services from Animal Control to Fish and Wildlife, and no one can assist. If you live in the Tacoma area and these are your chickens (and you can prove it) I am happy to return them to you if we can connect. They are very sweet, so clearly have known loving human hands, and I am not letting them go until I know they will continue to be safe. Seeing their squawking comrade get carried away this morning was horrific (though the coyote was healthy as can be, so there is that) and I would like a happy chicken ending (that does not involve dumplings) if possible. Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice that can help these two feathered friends.

Apologies for any cross/duplicate posts, I have posted on several socials and in varying threads as I am trying to either find the owners or someone that can help these two out ASAP as I cannot keep them in my bathroom, and I am not set-up or able to keep them as backyard chickens. However, now that they are in my home they are in my heart, and I have to do as right by them as I can. Thank you!

Attachments

• photo_5114193451599113102_x.jpg
    photo_5114193451599113102_x.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 24
Thank you *everyone* for their kind replies!

I bring great news to the backyard chicken galaxy! Our two intrepid explorers, the gallant chickens (who we were calling Pea and Pod) who embarked on an unexpected odyssey across the cosmic wilds of our local sector (aka a Tacoma backyard), who sadly saw a fellow feathered traveler lost along the way, have successfully navigated their way back to their home base. Against all odds, and with a little help from kindhearted humans, these brave avian adventurers have dodged the perils of space coyotes (rest in pecking power lost friend) and the vacuum of the unknown (a downstairs bathroom), to reunite with their flock (neighbors one block over). In a scene of jubilant clucking and feathered embraces, our feathered friends have returned safely to their fellow comrades.

(imagine you are hearing the Star Wars Main Title playing while reading this)
Welcome To BYC

Cute pullets, I'm glad you were able to take them in for a short period of time.

It looks like they have been safely returned to their home after their adventure.
Glad to see a happy ending.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rescued-chickens-needing-assistance.1604954/post-27326072

Back
Top Bottom