Tail almost always vibrating?

katie_94

Songster
Oct 14, 2021
I have a chick presumably 6 weeks old and a cockerel that is vibrating its tail constantly. The other suspected cockerel sharing the same space away from the adult hens is not doing this. And I'm not talking about the commonly seen wagging of the tail side to side to move body fluids from their glands/display happiness.

What is this behavior? It's more noticeable when it's sitting down/not moving.

So, not sure if this is relevant but here goes - I had a cat that did that. Her whole body would micro-vibrate almost all the time. She was the runt, and that's just what she did. And she purred almost all the time as well, it was like a safety valve for her, she'd even purr in between growling at predators. All we could figure was she had some congenital/genetic neurological issue, that was the vet's best guess. The other kittens born at the same time didn't vibrate. She lived a long and happy life, but was just different.

With poultry, vibration might be a sign of something else, I don't know.

I wouldn't let that rooster breed or ever raise chicks sired by that rooster. Wouldn't want to pass it on.

I have a chick presumably 6 weeks old and a cockerel that is vibrating its tail constantly. The other suspected cockerel sharing the same space away from the adult hens is not doing this. And I'm not talking about the commonly seen wagging of the tail side to side to move body fluids from their glands/display happiness.

What is the temperature where you are?

So, not sure if this is relevant but here goes - I had a cat that did that. Her whole body would micro-vibrate almost all the time. She was the runt, and that's just what she did. And she purred almost all the time as well, it was like a safety valve for her, she'd even purr in between growling at predators. All we could figure was she had some congenital/genetic neurological issue, that was the vet's best guess. The other kittens born at the same time didn't vibrate. She lived a long and happy life, but was just different.

With poultry, vibration might be a sign of something else, I don't know.

I wouldn't let that rooster breed or ever raise chicks sired by that rooster. Wouldn't want to pass it on.
If the chick does end up a rooster (my mom's adamant on keeping it until it shows obvious signs i.e. crowing/spurs) we will rehome it back to the farmer she got it from. It's also being separated (but still seen) from the adults until it becomes an adult itself/old enough.

If the chick does end up a rooster (my mom's adamant on keeping it until it shows obvious signs i.e. crowing/spurs) we will rehome it back to the farmer she got it from. It's also being separated (but still seen) from the adults until it becomes an adult itself/old enough.
I know there's various feelings on this forum that span the range between pets vs livestock, but that rooster (or hen) should probably be culled instead of re-homed. In a large farm free-range environment there'd be too big a risk of passing on faulty genetics (IMO). In a backyard situation, you'd have to make very sure never to raise chicks from that rooster or hen. Once you sell/give away the eggs, you lose control over what people do with them, and it's possible chicks could result.

I know there's various feelings on this forum that span the range between pets vs livestock, but that rooster (or hen) should probably be culled instead of re-homed. In a large farm free-range environment there'd be too big a risk of passing on faulty genetics (IMO). In a backyard situation, you'd have to make very sure never to raise chicks from that rooster or hen. Once you sell/give away the eggs, you lose control over what people do with them, and it's possible chicks could result.
I won't go into too much detail but the farmer my mom got the chick from could care less about how his chickens are breeding. We ourselves don't have roosters and won't ever have them so no worries about genetics issues. Again, it's being kept away from my hens until it's an adult. Most likely when we find the obvious signs it's a rooster, he'll be eaten by either the farmer or by a family member.

Whatever happens to the possible rooster is out of my control unfortunately as I don't have the heart to cull it myself (I'd have someone else do it) if there's a possible genetic inheritable issue in play too. Also whatever my mom wants or decides to do with it for now and after finding out it's a rooster is out of my control too. Def won't be keeping it that's for sure. The most I can do is watch over the health of my flock and make sure they're well taken care of/loved as pets and the suspected cockerels away from my hens.

Last edited:

Did you ever find out why this might have been happening? I have an 11-ish week old cockerel who does this as well. Runt of the bunch, greyish skin tone, and just got over a respiratory infection (out of 7 chicks, he’s the only one that ever showed symptoms). Curious if there’s an underlying issue.

Did you ever find out why this might have been happening? I have an 11-ish week old cockerel who does this as well. Runt of the bunch, greyish skin tone, and just got over a respiratory infection (out of 7 chicks, he’s the only one that ever showed symptoms). Curious if there’s an underlying issue.
they never did figure out what it was. I have never had this happen, but one member who might have a clue is @Kiki . She is one of the mose amazing people on BYC that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom