Tail Down, Feather Loss and laying down a lot

I have a buff orpington that is over a year old. The past few days I noticed her laying down alot and her tail slightly down. I thought it was due to the extreme heat. But now I'm concerned as she is is still doing it and the heat wave has passed. She also walks around like she is uncomfortable. I just gave her a warm bath thinking maybe she is egg bound. But I couldn't feel anything while massaging her belly. But I am not experienced with this at all.......Egg production has been a problem lately. I have 10 hens and get anywhere from 2-5 eggs a day. 6 of the hens are buffs and then 3 leghorns (one of the leghorns is currently broody) and 1 silver laced wyndotte. I really am upset as I don't want to lose her. I already lost one earlier this year :(

So basically she will walk around a bit and lay down. When I come out to the pen they all run to greet me, she will stand up.... move a few feet and lay back down. During the bath she lost a ton of feathers! Not sure if during a molt they would act this way?? I have not had them molt yet........

Right now I plan to keep her in the house and do the belly massage and warm baths.....
Hello,
I have a female blue sex link chicken who is about a year right now and everything you described is the same thing my chicken is doing. Laying down, tail down, she gets up when she sees me but lays back down. The only thing is when I bathed her because I thought she was egg bound too was her feathers didnt coming off how you described. Is there an update did you chicken ever get better?

Back
Top Bottom