tail down

shodack

Songster
Mar 19, 2015
central NY
So my four pullets are about 21 weeks old. One has been laying daily for about 10 days, one laid her first two days ago and then a soft shelled egg yesterday (I know it's normal, especially in the beginning). A third, my largest girl, sang her egg laying song yesterday, I thought for sure she had laid her first egg. Well, still no egg, and she has been walking around with her tail down for 24 hours. She's acting normal, eating fine, and squatting often. Should I be worried that she's egg bound, or is the first egg just making her a little uncomfortable?

I switched to layer feed just three days ago or so. I've also been offering egg shells as I have them available over the last week, and when I go out this weekend I'll pick up some oyster shells.
She was in there once or twice yesterday (that I saw, but the time I get to spend with them is quite limited), but today I haven't noticed her going in. Just got back from apple picking and went to check on them, and she actually seems to be fine now. Probably just my first time chicken keeper anxiety.

She laid her first egg, a tiny little soft shelled thing! Hopefully the beginning of many perfect eggs!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom