Tail dragging ground but NOT egg bound

lroggli

In the Brooder
May 1, 2021
I have a Black Astrolorp (from my original flock three years ago) who suddenly started dragging her tail a couple of months ago. I took her to the emergency vet fearing she was egg bound but she laid an egg while there. $1000 later they sent us home with pain meds and no diagnosis despite xrays and observation overnight. I isolated her in our chicken recovery hospital coop and she seemed to perk up a bit but when the pain meds ran out, she relapsed.

So we took her to a regular chicken vet who looked at xrays and had same issue...no DX except that "it might be her heart" but if we find anything she can never go back to the flock again (because of meds needed). My husband opted to not check her heart because she is SO lonely in the isolation ward.

Here we are 60 days later and she seems worse (tail dragging all the time) but she is eating like a champ (fights her way clear to get her share of kale), is not being picked on much by other chickens and roosts w everyone at night.

I am completely baffled. I do not want her to suffer but she seems to be enjoying life. However I know chickens hide pain well, so she may not be as chipper as I believe.

Next step would be either taking her to the NC State vet school (they could not see her previously) or put her down. The vet school pathology dept told me to NOT have a regular vet do it because it destroys organs for the necropsy which I learned with a previous ill chicken. I welcome ANY suggestions. Hate to see her this way yet she is perking along pretty darned well.

will try to get a pix to upload

while i have no input on the tail… but 1000$ ?!?! u mean 100$? not saying that im wealthy or poor but aint no way i would spend 1k on a chicken & especialy not have a diagnosis! That vet woulda choked on that chicken

So we took her to a regular chicken vet who looked at xrays and had same issue...no DX except that "it might be her heart"
That "heart issues" would be describing ascites otherwise known as water belly commonly caused by congestive heart failure.. Many chickens get it, possibly due some genetic component.

I *think* the x-rays would have shown if there was any EYP going on, but I could be mistaken. (noting it's also not usually AS suspect with normal laying persisting)

Have you felt her abdomen? Is it squishy with a lot of junk in the trunk? Might wanna compare to another girl to see if it's similar or different.

Sorry your gal has been unwell.

Last edited:
Can you post photos of her and her poop?

If she's able to move about, is eating/drinking and seems to be fairly happy and interacts with her flock - this may be as good as it gets.

Did the vet run a fecal float to see if she has worms?
What do you feed?

Hi, was just researching the same condition in my black astralorp and came across this post. She went from jumping in the air to get treats (so greedy!) to hunched over and dragging her butt on the ground the next day. She still has an appetite and I don't think she is egg bound as she is still pooping. I wondered if she had a broken leg, but they seem ok. I've isolated her for now and observing, but wonder if anybody else has any insight. Thank you!

Hi, was just researching the same condition in my black astralorp and came across this post. She went from jumping in the air to get treats (so greedy!) to hunched over and dragging her butt on the ground the next day. She still has an appetite and I don't think she is egg bound as she is still pooping. I wondered if she had a broken leg, but they seem ok. I've isolated her for now and observing, but wonder if anybody else has any insight. Thank you!

The original poster hasn't been on since 8-9-2023.

Have you started a thread about your bird in the emergency section?

That will get you the best chances at getting help.

If you start a new thread, please give some details of how old she is, if you have a rooster who might have hurt her, diet, and include any pictures or upload a video to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here.

Back
Top Bottom