Tail feather development

LBA830

Chirping
Jan 15, 2021
My chicks are 1.5 weeks old. 4 out of 5 of have tail feathers growing in really well and a lot of wing development. My other one has some wing development but no tail feathers yet. Everything online says that means a rooster. Trying not to jump the gun and say that’s what it is. Is it just slower to develop or what has been your experience with one that was a little behind on growth?

This was the chick on Wednesday. It doesn’t look much different since then.

Attachments

• AF0C1B8C-FDB6-48D6-813C-E96570A5211D.jpeg
    AF0C1B8C-FDB6-48D6-813C-E96570A5211D.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 13
It could be just a slow feathering breed. What breed is your chick? What breed are the fast-feathering chicks?
It’s either a welsummer or speckled Sussex. I can’t tell the two apart, but I know for sure I have both in this group of chicks lol I’m not sure which ones are the fast feathering ones

It’s either a welsummer or speckled Sussex. I can’t tell the two apart, but I know for sure I have both in this group of chicks lol I’m not sure which ones are the fast feathering ones
It's speckled sussex because of the white legs (welsummers have yellow). Sussex are a slow-feathering breed, so it's normal that this one isn't developing fast.

Back
Top Bottom