Tail feathers on buff brahma

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TLWR, Mar 11, 2019.

1. TLWR

TLWR Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I picked up 3 chicks about 1.5 weeks ago. Sexed as pullets. The buff he had 2 males in with them but quick sexed again and said pullet.
    I'm just adding these 3 this year and the buff brahma wing feathered as the other 2, but tail feathers are still missing while the other 2 girls have had theirs for close to a week.
    If there is a good chance this is a male, I'd like to get another asap since thesetbabies are still young. I'm not sure if it is a breed where tail feather development tells me anything

IMG_20190311_142720.jpg

chickens really likes this.
  2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Huh.. how was he "sexing" them?

Not sure about Brahma either. The tail was accurate on all my birds until I got Sussex.

Honestly the barring on the EE looking wings makes me think male as the white looks wider than the black. But I am here to learn, so don't take my word for it. :)

chickens really likes this.
  3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    My closest feed store 2 hrs there and back said they would have a bunch of selection in today, but I had to get there at 9:00am. They had so many breeds I could not list all they were going to have. When I got there they had 3 breeds, white meat birds, red meat birds, and Buff Brahmas. 1bra.PNG
    I ended up getting 2 buff brahmas because I just hatched out a BCM/Ayam cemani chick and it needed a friend. One day old.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: