Tail Feathers

hangman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Ok so I got 25 chicks (straight run) from Welp Hatchery on 11 FEB. All are doing great but some have longer tail feathers then others. Is it safe to say that THESE are roos?? Or.. should I wait till they get bigger?? I can only have 6 per code so I figure on selling the roos and the ones that I do not want when they get bigger to help off set some of the cost.

Little early to tell. Post some pics and that will help.

Quite often the pullets will feather out before the cockerals. What breed did you get?

Oh great, now I'm worried... Both of my Rocks and one of my Orpingtons have started getting tail feathers but my fourth Orpington hasn't gotten anything yet. I really hope she's not actually a he. I can't have a roo in the city and I think I'll cry if I have to give "her" up!

hate to be a kill joy but, when getting a straight run you should expect to get at least 50% roo's. you can hope you dont. But last year I order a straight run of Buff Orps. Out of 17 I got 9 roo's and 8 girls. It sucked I did not like the Orp roo's needless to say I have none of them. With a straight run at about 17 weeks the boys lose their minds and start to fight for top postion it is horrible. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer
hide.gif

Quote:
Actually, over the years, I have noticed that the pullets will show tail feathers longer than the cockerals at an early age. Now that may not be true with the breeds you have, but I wouldn`t judge them too early.........Pop

I have found my girls always feather out a lot faster than the boys, and it is more noticeable.With my roo's it seemed to be one day they were fuzzy,the next with a tiny tail feather peeking,and by the end of the week look like a completely different bird lol.My girls though, they went from fuzzy to feathered so quickly,once they get a few tail feather then suddenly their wings festehred out and BAM, they look like shrunken adults lol.

Last edited:
I was just wondering about this same thing because all of my 2 week old chicks have tail feathers but my little RIR. That chick still has a fuzzy butt. These chicks were sexed, but last time I got a Roo anyways. I cuddled it the most because it stayed so cute and fluffy for so long. Very dissapointing!

Ugh, mine are sexed too... Always that chance though. The tail featherless Orpington is also the largest of the four? Is that another sign?

It's funny because that is the chick I had the hardest time naming... Perhaps it was my sixth sense telling me "she" would have to go at some point?

Back
Top Bottom