Take a guess, golden laced wyandotte hen or roo

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new2dotties, Mar 3, 2016.

1. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    The first picture of the two youjust posted shows his comb better... He's definitely a roo...

2. silver1polish

silver1polish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    you could try feather sexing it, I used that trick it worked for me :D
    Note: feather sexing does not work on bantams

3. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    Female, Its wing is the same length or little slot like that
    Male, The wing short then long
    Hope this helps :D

5. new2dotties

new2dotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2016
    Oh sad day:(

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Feather sexing only works on certain hybrids or strains bred for the trait, whether they are bantam or large fowl. Feather sexing only works on day olds.

The bird in question looks like a cockerel to me because of the blotchy color pattern.

7. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    I agree.

8. StarMeKritten

StarMeKritten Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Moore County, NC
    It's still too early to be sure. Some wyandottes are obviously male or female at that age but most aren't. Yours could still go either way. It's too early for sex-specific feathering. You can't judge their sex by patchy coloring at that age, especially when you are dealing with hatchery stock. Hatchery quality pullets often have incomplete lacing which can make them look very patchy when their feathers are growing in. If you see big pink wattles appearing in the next week or so, you have a male. Until then, no need to stress out about it.

9. new2dotties

Feb 28, 2016
    That's a little relief! Thank you. I have six wyandottes.. Two silver laced single combs that have bigger wattles and are obvious Roos, they are shaped different than the other four and their backs have flatter stiffer colored/laced feathers going down to their tail, my other four are two golds that look like this one, one gold that is appearing to be female and has less color/ what color she has is more laced, and a silver that is the same. All four of these have a thicker bunch of soft all black feathers going down to the tail. Any meaning to that?

10. new2dotties

Feb 28, 2016
    Here are some updates, going on 5-6 weeks old now. The first is my obvious SLW single comb roo, the marshal Rooster Cogburn! Handsome man![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by