Take a guess

NLH1623

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Hatched ole Goldie out here at home, she’s a barnyard mix and I know the mix. Just curious how close everyone here can get to guessing the breeds involved, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4733.jpeg
    IMG_4733.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4732.jpeg
    IMG_4732.jpeg
    662.6 KB · Views: 13
Hatched ole Goldie out here at home, she’s a barnyard mix and I know the mix. Just curious how close everyone here can get to guessing the breeds involved, lol.
Is she a standard sized hen, or a bantam?

If bantam, I'm going to guess the father is a Buff Laced Sebright and the mother is a Black Tailed Japanese Bantam (white or buff, wouldn't matter.)

If she is standard sized, I agree with the others who think Wyandotte is in the mix. Her father is not a purebred Wyandotte, because of her dark-colored legs: she inherited those from him (he might show dark legs, or show light legs while carrying dark, but any purebred Wyandotte should be pure for light legs.) So Wyandotte mother, or Wyandotte-mix for either parent.

You folks don’t miss! ISA Brown mother, Wyandotte/White Leghorn mixed father. Got about 15 hens out of this cross and they have made great layers.
Genetically, something isn't right here. That mix of breeds should not be able to produce a hen with dark-colored legs like hers.

Maybe either the Wyandotte or the White Leghorn was carrying a gene that is wrong for their breed. The gene in question is on the Z sex chromosome, which a hen inherits only from her father, so that is why I am mentioning his parents rather than the mother of the current hen.

Back
Top Bottom