Take a look at this Alpaca's snakebit jaw in subzero weather!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Whispering Winds, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This happened in Missouri, the only thing they can figure out is a copperhead was in a big bale hibernating, and she ate a hole right where he was sleeping. She never did get really sick, but these pictures sure don't make it look nice do they? She is coming back to the farm where she has been boarding for breeding, and was suppose to come home here this month, but will probably stay put until we know for sure she is back on the road to recovery completely. She is a gorgeous suri, and very good blood lines. Her color is mahogany with silver patches throughout.

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

WOW that is awful looking. I am from MO where did this happen?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You could send her to Sunny Florida.................. I have a lonely male... he he

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Wow, that is awful looking. I wonder if the cold temps kept it from getting worse? I think I can see the puncture marks in the top photo.

6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Outside of Warrenton. She came home today back to Elkhorn Alpacas. The doctors are pretty sure its a snakebite, but didn't rule out a spider. It would have had to be a BIG spider, is all I can say. She acts fine and if she was pregnant, we hope she didn't or doesn't abort the baby. They are generally pretty tough, and will go through a lot of stress and still keep the baby. I was hoping for three new babies next year, but may only get 1 . . .will do an ultrasound in the spring to see and then if she isn't we can rebreed then.

7. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    who would have thought a snake in a bale! Poor gal-hope it heals faster now that she's home. I envy you -living with alpacas.I only have 2acres,but would love to have a few for fiber,spinning...
    next project!

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    OMG that poor baby.

9. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Poor girl that looks really bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by