1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Take me through the steps of incubating and hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by maggienchamp, Dec 5, 2011.

1. maggienchamp

maggienchamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Hi everyone! This spring I am going to be hatching some eggs for the very first time! Yay! I'm very excited but also a little nervous as I've never done this before and honestly, I know nothing about it. I have decided that the first set of eggs is going to be Button Quail [​IMG] If all goes well, I am also going to be hatching some Silkies and Frizzles.

My plan was to purchase the eggs from eBay, not sure if this is a good idea or not...any good or bad experiences with hatching eggs from eBay? If your against it, do you have any recommendations as to where I should get the eggs? Oh, also, how many eggs do you suggest getting? My hope was to get at least a pair of Button quail, but no more than 5. For the Silkies/Frizzle, no more than 4 would be ideal [​IMG] I know you obviously can't choose how many hatch, just an approximate number of eggs to get would be helpful!

Anyway, I was hoping I could get some advice on the process of incubation. Like, from the time I recieve the eggs to the time they hatch (hopefully!). So, things like, how long to 'set' the eggs (and how to do this), what temperature and humidity to keep the incubator at and at what times, how to check if the chick is growing correctly (candling?), the actual hatching (scary!), and any other helpful newbie tips!

Oh, and this is the incubator I will be buying http://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Mini-Economy-Incubator-10-Egg/brinsea-incubator-sale if that helps at all [​IMG]

Thanks for any info or advice! I really appreciate it [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  3. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I think the incubator you have a link to is a overpriced toy. Just pick up the basic Styrofoam model at the feed store and fertile eggs from a local chicken owner, follow the directions and don't overthink it. Purchasing eggs over the internet without prior experience can only result in disappointment. I gave away my mutt eggs to a coworker who was interested in chickens and he is now a full-blown chicken addict.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You have time to do some searches here on BYC. . Use the google search for the info you are looking for--I spend HOURS reading old threads to learn. Also, you can buy a basic book, like Storey's

Eggs. If you are a first time hatcher, practice with local eggs if you can. SHipped eggs are a gamble. Often none hatch. Shipping is hard on the eggs. BYC is a community where customers can comment on the shipments if you buy thru the auctions. THis gives you a better idea about the seller. All the past auctions are listed; you could look there for a seller or when you see an auction that interests you, look at the sellers history.

THe LG isn't one I recommend for a first timer or if you just want a few the first time. I use an LG and my broody has better hatches than I do. LOL Try a set-it and forget-it type.

[​IMG]

5. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    [​IMG]

I was going to just offer advice on the number of eggs till I clicked the link. That incubator is way over priced, you can get the same thing from Brinsea themselves more than $30 cheaper. In fact, for $1 more you can get the Octagon 20 ECO egg incubator which is a much better deal and on the Brinsea thread here you can get a discount code to make it even cheaper. [​IMG]

You want to order at least twice as many eggs as chicks you want and bearing in mind you want more females I would work on ordering 4 times as many. If you want 2 - 5 Quail and up to 4 Silkies/Frizzle I'd order at least a dozen of each and if it was me I'd order 2 dozen of they are coming by post. You could try a dozen first and plan on ordering another dozen if you don't get what you want. Selling extras usually isn't a problem, everyone loves cute chicks! [​IMG]

I wouldn't buy from E-Bay, I've heard to many bad stories. Local eggs are you best bet, especially as a first time incubator. Otherwise there are auctions on here and you should have no problems finding a reputable seller. [​IMG]

There is a wealth of information on the forums, you can find the answers to any questions you might have are only a search or a post away. Good luck with your first hatch. [​IMG]

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

If you wish to purchase this incubator (or any Brinsea product) from now through December 11, type in the word EcoGlow in the coupon section for 10 percent off the price.

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by