Taken to court by credit card company

Quote:
Chickabator, You and your DH are in my prayers, It sounds like you are doing the best you can.Just know that things will work out for you in the best possible way. Know it with all your heart, and find ways to smile. It makes life easier.
Rachael C
mother of all

Quote:
The key being before they go into litigation. If she received a summons they company that owns that debt is no longer in the mood to negotiate. It's already been written as a noncollectable debt and they are finding other means of getting what is theirs. I understand bankruptcy has lasting effects, but I feel better advising OP that bankruptcy is an option as opposed to a 20 year old who rang up a bunch of debt when they knew they had no means to pay for it. IE using bankruptcy as a quick fix. That's all I will say on this, don't want to spew anything else.

Quote:
The key being before they go into litigation. If she received a summons they company that owns that debt is no longer in the mood to negotiate. It's already been written as a noncollectable debt and they are finding other means of getting what is theirs. I understand bankruptcy has lasting effects, but I feel better advising OP that bankruptcy is an option as opposed to a 20 year old who rang up a bunch of debt when they knew they had no means to pay for it. IE using bankruptcy as a quick fix. That's all I will say on this, don't want to spew anything else.

I wasn't implying you are "ridiculous" yet I stand by my position that based on the minimal facts present, recommending bankruptcy is a mistake. I have "spewed" plenty of things here on BYC with the best of intentions, and sometimes less than. I've also witnessed countless other threads where people spew opinions where their heads must be in a very dark place. In my opinion you didn't "spew" anything and apologize if my words implied that.

There is no doubt that you are trying to help the OP, have experience in this area, and had correct assumptions.

Quote:
Unfortunately it may be to late for you to anything about the court ordered lien. Upon receiving a summons you have a specific amount of time to respond to the creditors complaints, if you fail to do this, an order of judgement is issued and the plaintiffs(creditors) win. At which point they can garnish wages, set leins and recover court costs. It is prudent to thoughly read any documents and respond accordingly in a timely matter even if you do not have the means to pay. I posted my answers to a summons on page one, you do not have to have a lawyer, all you need is a computer, the internet and a little time for reseach.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom