Taking a chance with the FLOCK

Hillbilly Rooster

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Middleville, Michigan
I have 50 new chicks that I plan on introducing to 30 hens and one roo.
I am going to wait until dark and shut the light off and put in the teenagers and see if the old girls can handle little ones.

The little ones are 3 weeks from going on layer feed so I think that they should be able to take care of themselves or run. I will get up first thing in the morning and keep an eye on them.

Is this the only good way to do this?

Chickenbottom is asking if you have quarantined the new chicks so as not to expose your flock to diseases. If you have what kind of steps have you taken?

Last edited:
to protect your original flock its best to have them in a quarentine for like 15 to 30 days to see if they are healthy unless your getting them from a hatchery. um there is respritory infections that are a great harm to your flock, um mareks https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=196261 here is a sad topic all about it (im deeply sorry pc) just trying to warn you of the things that could happen

They have been in a chicken tractor next to the 200 sq ft pen that I have the other chickens for the last 2 1/2 months.

I just put in the second coop so the older girls are used to that change and know going to add the others.

As for the bio then what would be a safe thing I have read alot on chicks but I must have not gotten the right reading material as this is news to me.

As I know that my chicks are healthy and my hens are great for what I see and what everyone else can see.
If you have information that would help me please feel free to enlighten me.

Thank you Thank you.

Can this still happen if I have had them there whole life well as one day old chicks?

I have not seen any problem and with anyone in the last 3 months that I have had them and the last 21/2 months the teenagers have been in the chicken tractor around the yard.

Back
Top Bottom