Taking a Chicken for a Walk

I was thinking of taking one of mine with me to work this week. Too cute! I'd prefer not to do a leash/harness thing. This I can do. My chickens all follow me anyway. Love the pics and videos!
:thumbsup
Make certain bird trained to come to you quick if a dog comes along. We had to come together fast when a lady brought a pit bull up and it had designs on my bird.

Follow a chicken and her person on IG, their stories are great. She apparently swims, travels, meets and greets...
No idea what he does for a living, but it's fun to see!
https://instagram.com/sammichicken

I have a blind baby that I'm working on diaper training, then we will work on socializing. Can't live inside, as I have a house panther. Ultimate goal would be taking her to a nursing home, maybe.

I was thinking of taking one of mine with me to work this week. Too cute! I'd prefer not to do a leash/harness thing. This I can do. My chickens all follow me anyway. Love the pics and videos!
:thumbsup
Well i wish you the best of luck :) sometimes at home things are a bit more relaxed and easier to handle. However, unless your chicken has a bond with you, following you in a public place and staying with you is a little more hectic. When i first started taking Snowflake out in public he did well however, one time i can remember him trying to follow another lady who looked somewhat like me. An easy mistake, but i had to do a recall to get him to come back. Thankfully the other lady loved chickens too, and didn't get freaked out by a fluffy white chicken pecking at her feet. I never had to train him to do that, nor did i have to use treats he just started doing that naturally w/o any training. And other than that one time, he never left my side. Taking him into Lowes was quite the fun trip as most people had to stop and stare and ask how on earth did i ever train a chicken to go on outings with me and actually stay with me. I had to pick him up toward the end though because i believe he was getting tired. And he was a little skittish of the carts that were strolling by and would run right between my legs. But he did great, never bothered anyone, and always loved the attention he was getting.
He was a very friendly chicken, he would let kids pick him up and he never once even try and peck them or even run from them. Sadly he was murdered by a guinea and i had to get my husband to put him down because he was just pretty much comatose. I miss him dearly and I will never find another one like him.

Well i wish you the best of luck :) sometimes at home things are a bit more relaxed and easier to handle. However, unless your chicken has a bond with you, following you in a public place and staying with you is a little more hectic. When i first started taking Snowflake out in public he did well however, one time i can remember him trying to follow another lady who looked somewhat like me. An easy mistake, but i had to do a recall to get him to come back. Thankfully the other lady loved chickens too, and didn't get freaked out by a fluffy white chicken pecking at her feet. I never had to train him to do that, nor did i have to use treats he just started doing that naturally w/o any training. And other than that one time, he never left my side. Taking him into Lowes was quite the fun trip as most people had to stop and stare and ask how on earth did i ever train a chicken to go on outings with me and actually stay with me. I had to pick him up toward the end though because i believe he was getting tired. And he was a little skittish of the carts that were strolling by and would run right between my legs. But he did great, never bothered anyone, and always loved the attention he was getting.
He was a very friendly chicken, he would let kids pick him up and he never once even try and peck them or even run from them. Sadly he was murdered by a guinea and i had to get my husband to put him down because he was just pretty much comatose. I miss him dearly and I will never find another one like him.
I polish bonding by taking a bird away from home where the only thing familiar is me. Most I do not pick up as much as have them fly up to hand on command.

Back
Top Bottom