Taking a crack at raising organic fed chickens

My partner and I have decided to give raising organic-fed chickens a try. His brother has been raising chickens for over a year, so he's help us. We are going big! We've started with 400 chickens and have converted half of the barn into one big coop. We've bought a chicken dog to help protect the chickens from predators on the farm. Recently we built a large feeder, which I'll be happy to post for your input.

Our first challenge is going to be culling the roosters, which should be in about a month or so. I joined this website to learn more, get advice, give advice, and enjoy the fun of raising chickens!
Hi!!
welcome-byc.gif

My dad used to raise organic chickens, about a hundred or so at a time, best tasting chickens ever! Good luck with your endeavor
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! We are choosing to do closed genetics to hopefully create an optimal layer/broiler breed. Our breeds are: Buff Orpington Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Speckled Susex, and Black and Gold Sexlinks. We chose these for their laying rates as well as their meat qualities. We plan to get into RFID tagging in the future, but for now just using colored leg bands.

Last edited:
Thanks! We are choosing to do closed genetics to hopefully create an optimal layer/broiler breed. Our breeds are: Buff Orpington Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Speckled Susex, and Black and Gold Sexlinks. We chose these for their laying rates as well as their meat qualities. We plan to get into RFID tagging in the future, but for now just using colored leg bands.

I love your selection of breeds and hybrids. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens as they are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed (BSLs are hybrids). They are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Good luck with your very large flock. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom