Taking a Vacation.

Guess I ought to realize how lucky I am to live in town and to get along well with all the neighbors. We were recently out of town for 8 days, for a far-away family wedding. While were were gone:

a neighbor, two blocks away, kept our dog overnight every night and walked her home in the morning (neighbor has a crated puppy and didnt want 2 dogs home together in the day with one in and one out of the crate). Picker her up after her hospital shift and took her home again.

other neighbors, across the street, let the chickens out and locked em up, every morning and evening, plus gave them food and warm water each time. When those neighbors were away, for the weekend in the middle, a third pair of neighbors did the same chores five times as pinch hitters.

Made everyone a cake when we got back. Nobody would accept $$ or anything, though they did get eggs, of course.

Should be said that we made it easier for these non-chicken owners by doing the following:

I set up a dog crate, big enough for two birds if needed,lined with alfalfa and with pre-filled bowls of water and food, in the dining room. That way, if any injury or prob (extreme cold temps that week) came up in our absence, al the neighbor had to do was carry the bird in, lock her up in isolation, and call me in CA. I had a chicken-loving friend, who does not live especially near me, on speed dial in case the neighbor needed to separate a bird, and the neighbor would let her in if a chicken needed real knowledgeable attention. That seemed to take the fear factor out of the situation.

So we planned pretty well, but mostly we are really lucky to live n a neighborhood where we know each other. Though that's something we have all built, too, with a block party here and a pot-luck there. . . .

Those of you in the country, can you ever get a house sitter to sty at your place and take on the whole thing?

We alternate pet services with a neighbor. We care for her dog & 2 cats when she's gone, and she cares for our cats & chickens when we're gone. Works well, no $ out of pocket and we trust each other to take good care of the critters.

Any chance you have someone nearby that would be willing to swap pet-sitting with?

We went away for 10 days in Sept. We have 2 horses, 2 goats, 4 cats, 2 dogs and 14 chickens. We got a housesitter - quite a fluke how we found her. She is my chiropracter's receptionist. In her early 20s, very responsible, married. She did a great job, all things considered. The horse's stalls weren't mucked properly, but that's okay b/c they can come and go from the stalls as they please. The chicken feeders and waterers were pretty poopy, but all the chicks were happy and healthy. We paid her $50 a night. Not the cheapest venture, but worth the peace of mind. So when we were on vacation, we stayed w/ family, b/c we couldn't really afford a house sitter and hotels!
smile.png

Quote:
This is good advice. Usually the FH kids and the FFA kids are really good about things like this. Pay them a little cash and with eggs and you're golden. Make sure that you get their phone number so that you can call when you're away once or twice to check on the "children". ha ha! Really. We leave for bluegrass festivals for entire weeks and have had good luck with neighbors and friends. You'll find somebody. The good thing is that chickens are smart and know their routine, so they'll just hang out and wait till you get home.

Have a great vacation! We all could use a few of those!

Back
Top Bottom