Taking baby chicks outside

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
How long do they usually stay out if a hen is raising them? If there is no hen how long do you let them stay out in the fresh air?

They would have food and plenty of water, and they would be shielded from the wind.

*Forgot to add they are a week old*

Last edited:
You did not say how old they are so I am assuming they are around 6 weeks. So that being said I would from 5 weeks on with Spring and Day Light Savings around the corner allow them out from the AM until the dark time as long as there is a perch that is out of the sun and undercover is around there too. Water and food like you said and PREDATOR PROOF!!

Oh sorry they are a week old and it's predator proof. I know they can't stay out all day.

You did not say how old they are so I am assuming they are around 6 weeks. So that being said I would from 5 weeks on with Spring and Day Light Savings around the corner allow them out from the AM until the dark time as long as there is a perch that is out of the sun and undercover is around there too. Water and food like you said and PREDATOR PROOF!!

If being raised by a hen, the hen will know what is best. I haven't hardly thought about taking my chicks away from the heat lamp. My 3 week old chicks are at 70 degrees or so and we haven't had weather to match yet, Since they are not fully feathered I might take them out for a while if it reaches 60 deg. or so. Once the feathers fill in more, they will get more outside time.

Well I gave in and took them outside, put them in a cage in the sun with plenty of water and sprinkled some food out there for them and they loved it.

I checked on them after about 10 minutes expecting them to be huddled together and they were all spread out sunbathing :)

I did block the wind from them.

They did get mad when I brought them in peeping and pecking at me. So maybe tomorrow if it gets warm enough I'll put them back out.

my 4 wks olds have been going outside twice a day for about 30 min. not today, a crazy wind. at first only the buff orpingtons wanted to come out. now, as soon as they hear me messing with the pop door they all cram against it & they just fall out when it opens. they run in & out as they please. if it's chilly some are soon back inside. the buffs don't go inside until they're made to. i have a temporary coral they can play in & i have a chair i sit in (can't leave them alone - not predator proof yet)

Back
Top Bottom