taking breaks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by banditgin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    it seems that my hens like to take about 2 week vacations from laying. they stopped laying a few weeks ago and just started laying again last week. silly birds.

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Any change in feed? I know my girls will stop laying for about a week if I go from using Laying Pellets to just whole corn.

-Kim

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Whole corn should be used as a treat only. Layers need a very minimum of 14% protein to have a nutritional feed. Corn doesn't provide even half of the necessary nutrition for a healthy flock.

If the flock has a good free range diet, that would help alot.

If they are cooped up, it's not a good diet, and problems will occur.

bigzio

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Mine mostly freerange, the corn and the coop just remind them where "home" is.

-Kim

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Corn is like candy for chickens. It has little nutritional value. Hens need a well balanced laying ration to produce good eggs and to be all around in good health.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Free ranging is good. They get alot more natural protein. They still would greatly benefit from a laying feed instead of corn.

Corn takes a lot of energy to digest and therefore raises the body temps. This is a good thing in cold weather. As the hot days of summer approach stop all the corn because the added heat causes undue stress on their bodies and they can't cool down.

7. banditgin

banditgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Boonsboro, MD
    it might have been a change in food but I just went from pellets to crushed and that was at least a week or two before they stopped laying. they free range during the day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by