taking chicks from mommas for a couple days.

igotchickens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 2, 2010
I have 2 chicks with 2 mommas that were broody. I was wondering how long I should wait before taking them away from the mommas. The reason I want to do this is because I want to dose everyone with Valbazen (worms to the point of watery poo) and no one is laying ANY eggs for the last 3 days when we were at 6-8 per day, then 2 eggs 2 days in a row, now none. But I'm also afraid that they'll go back to being broody (they were broody for 2 months after a failed attempt with fertile eggs and I had to go get 1 day old chicks. They are now a week and a half old. I don't want to have broodies again! Also, if I take the babies out and put them in the house for a few days, will the mommas take to them when I put them back? What's the best way to go about doing this everyone? I don't have space for 2 chicks and 2 chicks in the garage. Besides, the mommas need to be dosed.

I would let the mamas keep the chicks and just treat the rest of your flock. You can treat the mamas in a few weeks when their babies are going on their own. It's SOOOO much easier to allow the hens to raise them then to do it on your own.

Quote:
I assume deworming agent applied via water. Make so chicks can not drink hen's water. Still separate hens with chicks from rest of flock.

Separating chicks from hen for two days will break imprinted bond between mother and offspring.

Everyone- I'm using Valbazen, an oral application. My concern is in the tons of worms that will be expelled in the poop, i.e. while they're roosting in the coop at night, where the babies have access to.

Back
Top Bottom