Taking it Down to 2 breeds

I have gotten rid of about 37 birds so far and still have about 12-13 more to get rid of. Not getting rid of them because of what they cost, but because I got sick and over re-acted
wink.png
But, I found that it is much better not to be overwhelmed by birds and my feed bill has decreased drastically. My husband also had to take over all of my chicken chores, but he did offer, which I greatly appreciate.

But, I can certainly understand where he would not want to take care of that many birds. It's a lot of work sometimes, esp when it comes time to clean all the coops, etc.

I think you will happy with just 2 breeds and downsizing. It will give you more time for college and studying. I am fixing to try to get into nursing school (I hope).

Good luck in finishing your degree!

i didnt know that many people were downsizing i guess i just should get that many. my heart goes out to all of you because i know its probably hard to decide who stays and who goes
hugs.gif

I could probably cut my program in half without hurting myself too badly, but I don't wanna. Mabye this fall or later on in the summer. I will see how this season goes and play it by ear. Chickens take a lot of time and $.

My goal was the have two breeds to work with in addition to a diverse layer flock. I was planning to breed Icelandics and Salmon Faverolles. After much thought and discussion with the hubby I decided to just have one breed of rooster, the Icelandic. My reasoning is that Icelandic hens lay white eggs. I do not have any other white egg layers. If the only roo I have is Icelandic and I get a white egg it is more than likely a fertile Icelandic egg. (I have eight in the incubator now and all eight are developing) If I keep a Salmon Faverolle roo and and I get a white egg it might be a cross. I do not want any possibility of that happening so the Faverolles have to go. They are going to a good breeder so she do well by them. All I had was a juvenile pair and two eggs in the incubator anyway. With eliminating all other roosters and never having any other white egg layer I can let my flock all hang out together. My plan is to put a an Icelandic rooster and Icelandic hens in a breeder coop together for a couple of days at a time every three weeks just to make sure the eggs are fertilized.

So, as of next week when the Faverolles leave us we will have:

2 Icelandics Roosters
2 Icelandic hens
9 incubating Icelandic eggs

3 Silkie broodies (hopefully)

And a layer flock consisting of one each of the following: Naked Neck, Cinnamon Queen, ISA Brown, Delaware Cross, Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, Wheaton Ameraucana, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Black Ameraucana, Black Copper Marans, Welsummer, and 2 Easter Eggers. I will be adding an Olive Egger and a Golden Cuckoo Marans.

That's my plan. I have been working on it with a spreadsheet for months! Hatching and selling, buying and selling, hatching and keeping, etc. That's 22 chickens, not to mention the Icelandics I'll be raising. If it gets to be too much I will re-home some of my layer flock.

How did this happen?
Eighteen months ago I decided I wanted some chickens. Just a few, no more than three.
lau.gif

We are hoping that by concentrating on just 2 breeds that we will be able to breed them to be fantastic birds instead of just OK or acceptable.

I am going to retain one Lav Orp roo just to play around with genetics with the Buffs and Cochins. Haven't decided exactly what I want to do. I may breed him to some of my Buff hens that have some smut in their tails to get rid of that OR breed him to some Cochin hens to create split lav offspring.

Quote:
It's a tough call. My Favs are about the cutest things ever! I will bawl like a baby when they leave.
hit.gif
I may have to be gone when they are picked up.

Yes I have to restrain myself and keep it to 30. Not that easy when you consider all the breeds. I have an assortment and breed only two. Dels and CM's. The CM's may change but not the Dels. Most people just don't appreciate them.

2BO, 3SLW, 2GLW, 3AUS, 2DOM,6CM,1Ban.FRiz,8DEls. = 27? Hey I'm short two! Sorry gotta go, I gotta get me some chickens!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom