Taking it to the State level?

Property values. With home prices skyrocketing right now - and that being the only significant investment for most adults, the belief that nearby poultry will negatively impact property values is a significant impediment to the passage of any pro-poultry ordinance.
While this might be a concern of some people here, it was surprisingly not brought up at all during my meeting with the city council, or the ordinance committee. If it had, or does, I have a response for that as well, but as I said before, most of these people are set in their beliefs and just will not budge when presented with evidence to the contrary. I even stated that in light of the fact that other close-by towns that allow chickens (along with most of the rest of the country) have had no complaints about their chickens, yet the people here somehow believe that OUR town is going to be different and WE are going to have lots of problems with chickens. It just doesn't make any sense, but they continue to hold fast to their objections.

Oh... and I am shocked myself. I mean, we are literally in the middle of a hugely agricultural state. Nothing but farming and ranching for the most part, but we can't have chickens? It's absurd in my opinion.
Yeah, I get that. I used to live in a small town in Iowa. No chickens in town and when I asked why it was sort of a snooty thing like only rural people had chicken. People in town were somehow above that. Totally surreal!

While this might be a concern of some people here, it was surprisingly not brought up at all during my meeting with the city council, or the ordinance committee. If it had, or does, I have a response for that as well, but as I said before, most of these people are set in their beliefs and just will not budge when presented with evidence to the contrary. I even stated that in light of the fact that other close-by towns that allow chickens (along with most of the rest of the country) have had no complaints about their chickens, yet the people here somehow believe that OUR town is going to be different and WE are going to have lots of problems with chickens. It just doesn't make any sense, but they continue to hold fast to their objections.
It does sound like you were well prepared, and I'm sorry I didn't link the TX bill threads that I alluded to earlier, I'm on my cell phone. Rather surprised they didn't raise the property value complaint, but as you said, sometimes there's no convincing people stuck in their ways.

Have you considered running for office? Its a small town, likely wouldn't need a lot of votes...

Have you considered running for office? Its a small town, likely wouldn't need a lot of votes...

Lol, it did actually cross my mind, but I get the feeling that my battle is mostly with the other residents and not so much the council.

I did, however, create a forum specifically for our town's consideration of allowing chickens in hope that other residents would come on and voice their concerns. This would also allow others that are pro-chicken to join the conversation in support, rather than just me. I hold little hope that this will change minds, but at least it's a start.

Can you have chickens as 'pets' legally? Is there a definition of what a 'pet' is? I read on another post a woman who keeps a couple of chickens in her house. You might not want to do that, but if you had, say, a back porch you could convert have them 'in the house' as pets....maybe you could get somewhere with the board if you housed them for a year or two (documented by you with time stamped pics & videos)...but on the very Q.T./down low so no complaints...and then PROVE to the board there were no complaints. For this to work, would need to check any regulations on pets locally.

Also, have you thought about finding like-minded people in your community? Establishing a core group that can educate and advocate, so it isn't just you against the board, would definitely be a good option. This method of conquering over time, with assistance, won't be quick, but it should HELP start getting misconceptions lessened. Plus, actively campaigning for more open-minded board members (either on the ballot, or if appointed, by having multiple people from your group 'suggest' individuals for appointment.

Also, can you try to get them to consider an ordinance on a TEMPORARY basis. i.e. 1 year, and then revisit...with it automatically going away unless renewed? That might allay their fears some.

I know all of these suggestions are more work and will cause it to be a slower process than what you had hoped....and still not guaranteed...but it is all I could come up with.

Best of luck!

P.S> 8 hens is a lot for someone who is against hens. Maybe go for 4-5? It is still pretty limiting, but large enough amount for 'flock' animals. Only issue with that amount is when older hens stop laying...if you don't want to process, hard to introduce new layers & stay under the cap. (Need to introduce at least 2 at a time, so each has a 'buddy' when integrating.)

You could propose all types of ideas. I agree that max 4, no rooster is a good place to start. 4 is much better than none. Could also add that chicken housing would have to be X amount of feet from any neighboring property line, and that chickens will be enclosed (no true free-ranging). Those are things that you might not totally love but might help having chickens seem less of a “threat” for them.

I get your point, but when I think about it...if a flock next door brings down my value, it's not really worth anything to begin with.

Cities don't want to get involved in disputes or hear complaints (roosters crowing,chickens loose,dog killing chickens,etc) It's easier to ban chickens than enforce laws on the books.

Cities don't want to get involved in disputes or hear complaints (roosters crowing,chickens loose,dog killing chickens,etc) It's easier to ban chickens than enforce laws on the books.
Educating the community to the benefits of keeping a small flock of hens is the easiest way to get a ban lifted . If you can't get the people in your community to support backyard chicken keeping you won't be able to convince them at city hall either.

You could also form a charity and donate eggs to a local food bank in your community and harder for them to say no .

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom