Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I got mine in 2012 for between $1000 and $1400. It's an Amish style, 4' x 8' with 3 windows, 8 external nesting boxes. It has a 3' tall people door and it's maybe 5' 4" inside at its tallest spot. The run I built for probably $150 or less (in 2012) with 2 x 4s and chicken wire. I rebuilt the run this year for probably $300-400ish. I stopped counting, horrible time for it to need rebuilding. I need to figure out a roof, which it didn't have before.

I joked about our first egg costing us $1000. Then the rest just cost us the price of feed. :)

I think your quote is high looking around your Craigslist.

This outfit seems to be operating in your area, and their design is very similar in functionality to yours...I'm sure they could close in the back wall. You might give them a call for a second quote.
https://columbia.craigslist.org/grq/d/eastover-lodge-chicken-coop-pigeon-loft/7310099064.html

Also: https://columbia.craigslist.org/for/d/columbia-shed-8x12/7309258885.html
https://columbia.craigslist.org/for/d/north-metal-storage-shed/7308746161.html
https://columbia.craigslist.org/grq/d/west-columbia-leonard-6x8-steel-frame/7309961791.html
https://columbia.craigslist.org/grq/d/west-columbia-used-sheds-garagescabins/7320452174.html - This one for used/repo sheds looks pretty promising.
Thank you! You are correct, these are great options. This may change my direction. I had reached out to the Lodge Chicken Coop builder earlier this month but had forgotten all about it. I’m so glad you brought this to my memory. Even though the coop is smaller, it has a covered run. Great option.

I’ll be honest, my coop wasn’t cheap and it was built several years ago. We did all the labor ourselves so if you’re paying for labor that’s a big part of it and you might find a cheaper quote elsewhere. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Are the plans something you designed or a plan offered by the builder? Will you have input on design elements that are important to you? If I was going to pay someone to build it for me, I better get what I want. Walk in, deep litter, pop door, flexibility due to weather extremes and my ease of use are important factors on top of safety for the flock.
I paid an architect to design it. I’m not sure how much input I’ll have during construction since the price was based on the design. Please, there are no roosts, poop board etc... just the coop.

I like this thread because it puts my costs into perspective lol.
I spent £160 on a coop beginning of the year, my 7th coop I think and it turned out exactly like I wanted but my next coop cost me £25 and I was wondering if I had overspent on my fancy coop so comparing it to $2000 does reassure me.

I do worry about predators but even if I lost some chickens the way I have designed things (several coops and pens, I doubt I'd lose all if any all at once) it would be cheaper getting more chickens than spending more on the coops.

It is true that wood is expensive, from what I have read it is just down to supply issues and increased demand which the pandemic has caused (lots of free time to do home improvements) but who knows how long it will last.

I was taking advantage, as others were replacing their fences, throwing out furniture, shelves and beds, I was upcycling what I found. Turned an old IKEA bed into a coop. Fence panels might take longer to upcycle than buying what you need but considering how expensive wood is using someone else's fence panels is great.

I do know how long it takes to perfect a coop too though so if you have a well paying job then it might be worth spending 2 grand and not having to waste time on it. If you are more of a homesteader, then making the coop will be part of living off grid and doing things yourself.

The way to look at it is that over 10 years the coop will cost $200 per year and then you have to ask yourself how much $200 per year is worth.

Last edited:
Thank you! You are correct, these are great options. This may change my direction. I had reached out to the Lodge Chicken Coop builder earlier this month but had forgotten all about it. I’m so glad you brought this to my memory. Even though the coop is smaller, it has a covered run. Great option.
I like the lodge coops. I wish they were closer.

Shhhh.... he thinks is putting one over on you. Don't let him know or he won't feel guilty about it!

🤣

The Kreg Jig resulted in the Little Monitor Coop, the oscillating tool fixed up the cabin where we spent last summer while this house was being built, and I couldn't list everything he's done with the router. :)

The tile saw, however, is mine and I laid the kitchen floor in our previous house with help from my then-13yo daughter.

I did get it last year, but i Don’t think the price would be much differen, as they cut and mill their own lumber.

I wouldn't count on it. The Amish are both skilled craftsmen and smart businessmen. Nothing in their religion says that they can't charge competitive prices. :)

My first phase I spent $200 in materials at HD (mostly untreated 2x4's) built it myself, used about 1/2 a sheet of left over ply for the nest boxes and scavenged old roofing tin. That gave me a 3.5 x 8 open coop with exterior boxes and a good roof. $65 more for a roll of 2x4 welded wire and harvested small trees for posts for my 8 (10?) x 30 run.
My husband was breathing down my neck about cost and chickens etc so I was determined to kind of show him how cheap, resourceful and successful I could be.
IMG_20181201_112858572.jpg IMG_20181213_081214247.jpg

My first phase I spent $200 in materials at HD (mostly untreated 2x4's) built it myself, used about 1/2 a sheet of left over ply for the nest boxes and scavenged old roofing tin. That gave me a 3.5 x 8 open coop with exterior boxes and a good roof. $65 more for a roll of 2x4 welded wire and harvested small trees for posts for my 8 (10?) x 30 run.
My husband was breathing down my neck about cost and chickens etc so I was determined to kind of show him how cheap, resourceful and successful I could be.
View attachment 2666672View attachment 2666671

That is absolutely beautiful. So perfectly suited for your climate!

Back
Top Bottom