Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I paid an architect to design it. I’m not sure how much input I’ll have during construction since the price was based on the design. Please, there are no roosts, poop board etc... just the coop.
In reality all you need is the roosts, neat box and doors. Poop boards and all the crap are wasted expenses and a waste of time. In my opinion anyway.

That is absolutely beautiful. So perfectly suited for your climate!
Thanks B! If only I stopped while I was ahead... Like many I quit counting $$ but I still scrounge and justify as I tripled it all. I spent more on my incubator than any one coop lol.
My DH just built me a breeding coop and I swear that thing was not over 2 either... plus scrounging.

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
I say go for it!! Just so long as it doesn't put you in financial trouble or anything like that. They can last a long time and some of them are actually pretty safe and cool looking for the prices. If you need an excuse, how about.. Stimulus check? :thumbsup

I had mine built a year ago 8x8 raised coop with an 18x28 covered run, all predator proof, four jalousied windows for ventilation and a poop sand box. You can see my pics. I purchased most of the materials and had it built by 2 professional carpenters. It's like Ft. Knox. My girlfriend calls it the Taj Mahal. Then, it costs nearly $6k, but it's once and done and to my design.
I keep reading about people buying chinese coops that fall apart after a few months. Wasted money and effort. Make sure you can stand up inside the coop. Few people mention this or even think about it, but to me, it's imperative. I know now, with the inflation caused by our brilliant new president, that my coop and run would probably cost close to $10k.
I'm so thankful that I had it built last year.

Last edited:
I'm scoping a 8x12 Woods coop with a 8x16 run and materials alone are nearly $3000. OSB 4x8 plywood is almost $50 a sheet!
Use Hardiboard instead. Harder on your tools, you don't want to be making a lot of cuts, and you will need to use screws, not nails - but will save you between $8 and $15 a sheet, depending on where you source it, and its FAR more durable than OSB, particularly with regard moisture (though both are $#!+ for ground contact (isn't everything?).

Of, and metal roof on purlins - faster, potentially lasts far longer, doesn't require decking, felt, tons of nails, and then squares of shingles - so cheaper, too. (and absorbs less heat - for good or ill - than a shingle roof, besides)

Back
Top Bottom