Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
Pics

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
I converted an old shed into my coop so most of the work was already done. I took a lot of material from my old run and recycled it for portions of the new run and used the 1/2" HC to cover window openings, etc. I still ended up spending about $2500 and this was in the spring/summer of 2019.
Some might say I went overboard with predator proofing but nothing has ever gotten at my flock within their pen and I sleep like a baby at night.
The way I look at it is the chickens are my main source of entertainment and stress relief. I don't go out much so I'm not spending money on that, why not on the birds? I've NEVER regretted it.

Last edited:
I don't remember what we paid for the Little Monitor Coop in 2014 -- a LOT less than the same materials would cost today.

I don't know what we're paying for The Chicken Palace and I don't know if DH is actually keeping track. Probably twice or three times what we'd have paid for the same materials 18 months ago.

Not much we can do about it. At least an Open Air style coop costs less than an enclosed coop would cost.

Is the 10x6 a coop and run combination, or is that the coop size?

We are paying $2800 (delivered) for a 10x14 rough sawn pine shell (ordered at March's lumber prices). It will be another $600 to finish the roof (tar paper, drip edge, shingles, nails, and ridge vent), $100 for paint, $40 for two windows, $100 for hardware cloth, $20 for feeders and waterers and an egg basket, $10 for the first bag of sweet pdz.

Foundation (sand and short pieces of treated 4x4), framing for interior screen wall, roosts, poop board, shelves for supplies, nests, dust bath containers, and bedding are no cost (found things or repurposed things.)

We expect to get about a third to a half of that back when we sell the house because it will convert to a nice shed.

No run, so no cost there. And no electricity or water to the shed. And it is small enough to not need the $50 building permit from the zoning office.

I think it is better than spending a quarter as much for something that won't work well and/or won't last, and that we would have to pay (in time,effort, and hassle if not in cash) to remove so we can sell the house because it detracts from the curb appeal of the house.

Our next best option was about $3800 (delivered) for metal or T-11 sided, metal roofed shed of similar size (mid-April prices.)

Or about $1500 in materials plus cutting and hauling a lot of trees from my woods and a LOT of time to build it ourselves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom