Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
I just had a 4 X 4 coop built for me for my bantams. Nice design, great ventilation and custom paint. $815 with parts, labor, delivery, and assembly on my property. Got the bid just before the prices went up due to sky rocketing lumber prices. So I do not think you are crazy, unless we all are!🤣

How finished will it be when done and will it be waterproof, wind proof, rat proof, proper drainage, easy access for you, and cozy for your chickens to perch and sleep at night. And for that price it better be done once you complete it, and not have to fix a major problem later.

I have open air coops and they are cheap and cold and leaky and I'm always having to spend time trying to fix it. I can't afford closing it with lumber and proper roof etc. Maybe concrete and bricks is cheaper material wise, but then you pay for labor and have to finish the insidewith lumber. I know brick and rebar is cheap where I live but so labor intensive I didn't even consider it.

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.

Being as you are in SC I would build a hoop coop and definitely not be spending 2 grand.

I think it is better than spending a quarter as much for something that won't work well and/or won't last, and that we would have to pay (in time,effort, and hassle if not in cash) to remove so we can sell the house because it detracts from the curb appeal of the house.

This is a good point.

Today I was given this coop and a brooder/playpen structure along with the 4 chicks I was expecting because my friend wants to list her house and needed to get this useful but unattractive structure off her property.

0510211422_HDR.jpg

I'm going to "redneck" it into a walk-in, outdoor brooder for the 35 chicks that are arriving before the new coop is going to be complete (it's been delayed by weather, health problems, and difficulty obtaining materials).

People who live in town need to pay attention to property values and aesthetics when building their coops whereas purely practical structures made from pallets and tarps are more acceptable in rural areas. :)

I know brick and rebar is cheap where I live but so labor intensive I didn't even consider it.

If I were 15 years younger I'd go for it. I'm not strong enough to lay block, but I'm sure I could handle brick -- at least well enough to make a chicken coop.

Well, I just ordered an 8x12 shed kit for almost $1,500 that I will need to modify. Once I get the new run built, I will be $2,000 into it. Tried to find a used shed, but no luck. Materials are crazy now.

Should have just built the original one bigger, but now I will have room for lots of chicken math by having both coops. One can be used for grow outs until freezer time or separating birds when needed. Or meat rabbits. Or goats.

I don't remember what we paid for the Little Monitor Coop in 2014 -- a LOT less than the same materials would cost today.

I don't know what we're paying for The Chicken Palace and I don't know if DH is actually keeping track. Probably twice or three times what we'd have paid for the same materials 18 months ago.

Not much we can do about it. At least an Open Air style coop costs less than an enclosed coop would cost.
I’m going for the open front coop. I guess that is a savings.

I said less than $500, but we did use some lumber that we have since replaced for another project, so the $500-750 answer might have been more appropriate.

The trailer frame was on the old property we bought, and has proved to be a very sturdy base. The people door, the nest access doors, and the wood for the nest boxes was also "found" stuff on the old property.

We always have some kind of building project going on, so there are odd pieces of lumber available all the time. Very little gets thrown away, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom