Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
This is coop only. I have a 10x10 dog fence that I use for a run.
My first post included the run. Without the run, my plastic shed was just under $1,000 including a base of patio stones. I had to build nest boxes, roosts, add ventilation, and install a pop door. Out of all of that, the only expense I had was the bit of hardware cloth to cover the openings I cut, everything else was scrounged. I also ran hydro and installed a light and a couple of outlets, which was over $200 in parts, and I already had the wire!

I am in the process of building an 8x8 raised coop with an 8x8 roof covered run, and a 10x8 hardware cloth covered run. the first batch of wood was $1400. We had about 25 2x4's already so didn't have to buy those. We were a little short so have to purchase another $220 worth of wood (prices have gone up since I bought the other stuff and that was only about 6 weeks ago I think). We got the shingles and a bunch of trim wood all for $50 (shingles would have added another $300 or so.......... oh and the HW cloth was probably another $200 or so I think.

so think in total for an 8x8 coop and an 18x8 run (plus the run area under the coop) is about $1800 and we are building it ourselves. and we had wood here that now would have cost another $200 at todays prices.

Good idea. I’ll look into that option.
Our local mennonites build them, and surprisingly they're fairly reasonably priced. It's dark outside or i would go take a pic of the 10x12 shed we just purchased. It's very well made.. Wait, i may be mistaking come to think about it. Maybe it was 2500. Maybe the 8x10s were 1200. But still.. I know our home depot had utility shed kits that were cheaper than the mennonite shed we got though, but we preferred to have it built for us and delivered, lol.

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
If it sounds like what you want as the end result, I say go for it! I spent about 2500 on my 8x8x8 and It hurt during the project, but I’m happy now. thats without labor 😬... since we did it ourselves

Back
Top Bottom