Talk me off the Ledge... $2000 for a chicken coop!

How much did you pay for your built (not prefab) chicken coop? Labor (if any) and materials.

• Free - I used all repurposed materials and did it myself

Votes: 30 13.3%
  • Less than $500

Votes: 64 28.4%
  • $500 to $750

Votes: 14 6.2%
  • $751 to $1000

Votes: 28 12.4%
  • $1001 to $1500

Votes: 24 10.7%
  • $1501 to $2500

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • More than $2500

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • I'm ashamed to say (but please do!)

Votes: 8 3.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I think it’s a reasonable quote. We built a 14 x 14 run with a 5x5 elevated coop and an attached shed for storing food, shavings, straw, etc. hardware cloth, plywood, repurposed siding, ondura roofing and a sliding barn door and spent about 3 grand but we love it as much as the hens do.

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.
Not sure of the size of ours but I know was expensive and my husband is the one that built it. He sais the lumber was ridiculously high. We are around $2000. The windows (3) were all free. One of them is a half moon window I found someone throwing away. I will post pictures..he has really done an awesome job and the girls love it. Suppose to have the run finished this wkend😊.

All the more reason to have house chickens!! 🤣

That's outrageous though. Housing prices skyrocketed too but that was only for a few months. They are coming down again, quickly, so I think I would wait. I don't think you can plan much smaller, so that wouldn't help much either.

In the interim, can you convert a shed or tree fort or dog house? (I don't recall if you said how many chickens you were getting so those ideas may not work).

Good luck!!

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your story.

Because of

I just received a quote for a 10x6 chicken coop... $2,023! I know lumber is sky high... no need to tell me that. But here is the crazy part... I'm thinking about paying it. But I honestly feel like a fool paying that much for a CHICKEN COOP! I was fine with $1500... and $1700. But $2k seemed a bit excessive. What do you think? Give me your th

I've had a variety of styles of coops over the years. I hate spending money on them, so I've always used as many repurposed materials as I could gather. I've even seen people use discarded furniture. We've used leftover PVC to make moveable coops. Now I have a coop built with leftover corrugated metal panels. You often find people listing metal sheds free for the removal. We built a smaller version of Justin Rhoads' chickshaw for not much money at all.

I converted an old shed into my coop so most of the work was already done. I took a lot of material from my old run and recycled it for portions of the new run and used the 1/2" HC to cover window openings, etc. I still ended up spending about $2500 and this was in the spring/summer of 2019.
Some might say I went overboard with predator proofing but nothing has ever gotten at my flock within their pen and I sleep like a baby at night.
The way I look at it is the chickens are my main source of entertainment and stress relief. I don't go out much so I'm not spending money on that, why not on the birds? I've NEVER regretted it.
This is exactly me! :)

Chicken coop and fenced run came with the house we bought. The house is super strong but we put chain link on top of run to keep hawks out.

Back
Top Bottom