Talk to me about electric fencing

Continuous current

20200419_155906.jpg

Will light you up
Screenshot_20200419-160358_Samsung Internet.jpg

On a big run like around a hole yard / field that you have to have the fence stay on even as you go in and out you can use these ideas. I had the r40s on my gates and drive through fence for my yard, worked great as long as you grab the plastic, once about every 3 years I recommend changing the plastic pieces out, nothing worse then feeling secure after using them for ever reach up grab one to be able to open a gate and it crack apart in your hand. Yep you guessed it your now holding not touching but holding on to the fence zapping you.
06094E2F-7F17-4F9E-B43E-435180F30154.jpeg

Small chicken coop idea instead of a big run, wire in a light switch to an outlet. So if light switch is off, it turns the outlet suppling the fence power off. Could get really fancy and use a switch that lights up when on or off your preference which way it lights up so from a distance say back door for example you could see if the fence was left off.

I'll start with a little background info. I have been keeping chickens for about 4 years and loving it. Last fall, however, a pair of large dogs broke through my run and killed my entire flock. I am now starting over with 14 adorable chicks (10 bantam, 4 LF). My DH has has repaired and reinforced the run as much as possible, but we would like to buy an electric fence for added protection.

Do you use an electric fence of some kind? What type? Where did you get it? Any tips about setting it up?

Thanks!
I'm so sorry about your flock! Several years ago, we had the exact same scenario, it's heartbreaking. We got just a single hot wire like what's used for cattle and strung it across the middle of the fence on the outside. You can also string it against the top. It was solar powered and had quite the kick, nothing wanted to mess with it anymore. As far as fully electric chicken fences go, I would not recommend. We had one temporarily when we moved houses, and maybe it was just the brand, but it was flimsy and expensive. A storm knocked weeds into it, made the power go out, and the chickens chewed through it. So we had free-range until our permanent coop was built.

Forgive me for the silly question but...how do you all get in and out of your fenced area? A gate? If so, anyone got any gate pictures? :pop
We had ours set up so that at the gate we had the wire with a hook and plastic handle, so to get in we unhooked it then opened the gate. Sorry, not sure how much sense that made. I don't have pictures since that was at our old house and at our new house we don't need a wire.

I have mine plugged into a remote control outlet. The remote is on a hook by the door, so whoever is going to the coop can access it easily. I can turn the fence off, before I get to it, so it's safe to work with while we're out there. It's become habit to make sure it's turned back on before leaving.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Link2Ho...utlets-and-1-Remote-Black-EM-OR650B/309380398

I use this, for the top wire, and can step over the rest.
https://www.amazon.com/Zareba-GHPB-...tric+fence+gate+handles&qid=1587352619&sr=8-1

Back
Top Bottom