Talk to me about electric fencing

As @FeatheredFriends&Horses2 says, you can get plastic handles for a "gate." The handle is like a handlebar grip on a bicycle. You tie the fence strand to one side and there's a hook on the other end. I tie a loop at the end of the fencing on the other side of the "gate" and that's where the hook goes.

I say "gate" in quotes because it's such a simple set-up that using the word "gate" is a little confusing. That word sounds like it's more complicated. Actually it's just an insulated hook and a loop of fencing. Nothing to bury, nothing to string overhead--very simple. If you use two strands, then get two handles.

Energizing the fence is simple, too. Most solar energizers can be mounted onto a t-post or you can set them on the ground, a bench, etc. Just make sure they can't blow over and your geese can't eat your wiring. 🙄

The energizer comes with two wires with alligator clips on the end. Some include a ground stake (shaped like a big T-pin), or you may have to buy one separately. Pound in the ground stake. For your relatively short fence, you don't need to sweat getting it in all the way. If your soil is dry you may need to pour some water around it from time to time. Clip the green (ground) wire to the ground stake/rod. Clip the hot (usually red) wire to the fence strand. If you've used two separate strands you'll also need a jumper (wire with clips on either end) to send power to the second strand.

You are done. I bought the expensive tester from Premier One. Or you can just touch it when you want to make sure it's hot. (Very effective; not recommended. ) :old :lau

As @FeatheredFriends&Horses2 says, you can get plastic handles for a "gate." The handle is like a handlebar grip on a bicycle. You tie the fence strand to one side and there's a hook on the other end. I tie a loop at the end of the fencing on the other side of the "gate" and that's where the hook goes.

I say "gate" in quotes because it's such a simple set-up that using the word "gate" is a little confusing. That word sounds like it's more complicated. Actually it's just an insulated hook and a loop of fencing. Nothing to bury, nothing to string overhead--very simple. If you use two strands, then get two handles.

Energizing the fence is simple, too. Most solar energizers can be mounted onto a t-post or you can set them on the ground, a bench, etc. Just make sure they can't blow over and your geese can't eat your wiring. 🙄

The energizer comes with two wires with alligator clips on the end. Some include a ground stake (shaped like a big T-pin), or you may have to buy one separately. Pound in the ground stake. For your relatively short fence, you don't need to sweat getting it in all the way. If your soil is dry you may need to pour some water around it from time to time. Clip the green (ground) wire to the ground stake/rod. Clip the hot (usually red) wire to the fence strand. If you've used two separate strands you'll also need a jumper (wire with clips on either end) to send power to the second strand.

You are done. I bought the expensive tester from Premier One. Or you can just touch it when you want to make sure it's hot. (Very effective; not recommended. ) :old :lau
Much better job of explaining it than me, thanks! My siblings and I used to test our fence by getting fresh dandelion stalks and touching the wire, the stalks would absorb most of the shock, but we'd feel enough to know it was still on... was it the smartest idea? Probably not, but hey, it worked :rolleyes:

When I grew up dog packs that come on your property were shot and killed.
Kill my Buddies, kill the dogs, pretty simple. They are predators no different than a Coyote or Mink. etc...

How large is the area, bones? I love chain link fencing with a couple rows of hot wire. We used 4x4 pressure treated posts, and chain link from home depot. It was shockingly cheap there. You can kinda see it in this photo. I can't believe i don't have a better photo. The hot wire is not up on this pen currently, as we've been working in there to get the netting set up. View attachment 2097627
Can you please tell me about your netting? How do you keep it up, what it is, etc?

Can you please tell me about your netting? How do you keep it up, what it is, etc?
Sure! It's mobile netting electric netting. Very easy to set up, move, etc. It's not this exact brand, but here is a pic from the web. The stakes are part of the roll. We used t-posts to make the corners more rigid, and stretch the fence a little tighter. I'll try to get pics of my setup later.
download (1).jpeg

The fence wire can't be touching the ground or it will lose its spark. It's not terribly expensive to buy e-fence (rope/tape/etc.) and stakes for a small project like you're describing. To keep out predators, a wire a few inches off the ground and another around ten inches from the ground will keep most predators away. You do have to keep grass/weeds from grounding it out, though.

Sure! It's mobile netting electric netting. Very easy to set up, move, etc. It's not this exact brand, but here is a pic from the web. The stakes are part of the roll. We used t-posts to make the corners more rigid, and stretch the fence a little tighter. I'll try to get pics of my setup later.
I can't tell the brand or I would look it up to get the general idea until you were able to explain how you have made it work for you.

Back
Top Bottom