Talk to me about Mommy Hens

ehxsnohs

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 10, 2014
So I've previously posted on here about trying to hatch a few eggs myself in an incubator. Ended up having no luck and none of the chicks hatched. Ended up getting rid of the incubator and all of a sudden our bantam hen became interested in sitting on her eggs (she wasn't interested before!) Shes currently sitting on her own one that is due to hatch the 6th and one from another larger older hen that had no interest in her own. Her adopted egg is only a few days along. Both seem to be developing amazing. My question is, once her own chick hatches on the 6th, will she take care of it on her own? Or am I supposed to bring it in aand care for it?
Will mom hen feed it and teach it to go down the ramp into their run where the food is? im worried about it not being able to get up/down the ramp and become starved or cold. Also will she continue to sit on her adopted egg?

Ater they hatche keep them in a brood with her till they grow bigger and she will do it all. Start on chick food and her the same.

after and if her egg hatches she will probabley set for another two days then she will leave the nest with her chick for food and water the last egg will be left sorry its too long before it is to hatch for her to still set on it. i like to keep my hen and chicks in a place where there is no chance for it to be seperated from mom she is its heat source for the next few weeks

Back
Top Bottom