Talk to me about Peafowl

Chicktastic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Please tell me what you know about peafowl. I am thinking of getting a few india blue.

I'd like to know the dos and donts. What is their range? Do they have special needs? Also if there are any helpful sites.

I have had other fowl; chickens, guineas, ducks how does keeping these guys differ?

Quote:
Yes, I'd like to know as well... I'm like the poster.. I'd like to get couple PeaFowl with my other rare birds and Bourbon Reds..

I was scanning thru these messages trying to find information but seems that there aren't many that have these pretty birds..

Thx..
hmm.png

There is a yahoo group for Peafowl. They can range very far and can clear a 6ft fence with no problem. They like to roost up high in the trees. We raise ours in big pens and they eat the same thing as the turkeys. If you google peafowl you will probably come across a few other groups and peafowl forums. I will look thru my stuff tomorrow and see if I can find any of the other groups. The India Blues do not need special lightening like some of the other peafowl breeds do. But it does not get very cold here in Eastern NC.
Sharon

I have over 100 breeding peafowl. What kind of info you looking for?

They dont breed untill two yers old, peacocks dont get a full train(tail) untill 3 yr. old.
The greens need heat in Northern winters, but not the blues.
They came come in 185 colors and Varieties.

Peacocks are the males.
Peahens
peachicks

As a group peafowl.

They breed in the spring, lose their train every fall and regrow it before breeding season. Post with a few pics. of my birds

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=139795

Quote:
Deerman,
How much heat do the greens need? We were looking at some full Java's and Indo Chinese before and couldn't really get one answer on how warm they needed to be.

Steve in NC

They are very vain and will stare at themselves for hours if you let them....

This means if you let them free range, they will use your patio doors and vehicle windsheilds for mirrors.
big_smile.png
This is why we do not have them any more. I personally loved them, and thought they were very beautiful, but the big piles of poop on the truck hood seemed to bother DH a fair bit....
gig.gif

Not to deter you any, just fair warning!!

Also something else to add is if you let them free range you need to have them pinned up for 3 months (? I forgot if it was 3 months or weeks) in a pin they can see the surrounding area or they will fly off. The younger ones might not need pinned as long. Also keep all dogs inside if you have any for a while or they might chase them away.

I don't know how to sex them though. Was about to look that up. I have some that were hatched in August I got for free since we had boughten some from the guy before and he didn't want these to die since they hatched late. He said something about a green chest but I don't remember if it was for the male or female. He also says when the mothers hatch out chicks he takes all but one to raise by hand since they get seperated from the mothers.

Last edited:
Quote:
Deerman,
How much heat do the greens need? We were looking at some full Java's and Indo Chinese before and couldn't really get one answer on how warm they needed to be.

Steve in NC

Above 32 degree F. Few breeders of greens in your State

The males LOVE LOVE LOVE super worms . Mealworms that are huge. They will eat reg sized mealworms too, but they eat more since they are smaller. they Love it when you boost thier egos (calling em pretty feathers when they splay thier tails out). The hens can do thier tails too, but it's not near as big or fancy as the males.
But, go with what Deerman says, he's right on the money, and knows his peafowl.

Back
Top Bottom