Talking to your chicks, bad or good?

I talk a lot to my 13 5-week-old chicks. Usually two or three times per day. I say "chick, chick, chick" when I enter their brooder shed, and then whistle to them, kind of a meadowlark song. They seem to enjoy it. We handle them a lot too, and they all like to sit on our knee and sometimes start to fall asleep there. Also, I play the radio for them almost all day, a mix of country and rock classics, to keep them used to the human voice. Seems to be working so far!

Doug
When I had a sick chick living in my home office, I played a classic rock station for it constantly to keep it from getting lonely. I expect any day to go into the run and find it wearing an AC DC t-shirt now.

I tell my flock every day that if any of them are roosters they can stay if they can learn to lay eggs and not crow
wink.png

I have always talked to my chickens - I talk to my nephews chickens too. My current 6 babies are being raised in our playroom until they are old enough to move to the coop. This way they get used to people going in and out of the room, hear the TV and music. They are becoming very social. I tame and train all my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom