Tally isn't feeling well - should we go to the vet?

I'm wondering if a vet visit would be in order for Tally (Barred Plymouth Rock on my shoulder in bio pic.) The past couple of weeks we've seen Henny Penny (our rooster - long story) bully her a couple of times, and as you can see in the photo, she's lost feathers on her head in addition to a growing patch on her back. Others have back bald spots but their heads are fine. About a week ago she laid a soft egg. We had a few soft eggs earlier in the summer when it was sweltering, but the weather's been pleasant the past couple of weeks. She's laid a couple of normal ones since, and then no egg for 4 days - unusual for her.

Thursday she was droopy with tail down and tried that night to roost in the small coop where the young gals sleep instead of the one with Henny (rooster) and other 2 gals her age. They shooed her out and she went back over to the "big people."

Since she was droopy Friday, I did some reading here, then around 6 pm palpated her crop and it seemed fine, gave her 600 mg of Calcium Citrate and put her in a crate by herself. Offered her electrolyte water, scrambled egg and regular feed, but she didn't eat. Had diarrhea overnight.

She seemed perky again yesterday (Saturday) morning so we let her out to free range with flock. When we gave everyone treats yesterday afternoon, Henny pecked at Tally when she reached for some. Last night she slept on a perching bar outside of enclosed sleeping area vs with Henny and other gals her age and had diahhrea.

Note: we've seen her eat some things that might cause tummy upset?? like an unlucky vole or mole about a week ago.

This morning (Sunday) we saw Henny be rough with her in the run before we let them out to free range. So, I gave Tally another 600 mg of Calcium Citrate and put her in the crate. She drank quite a bit of electrolyte water. Also left her a bit of yogurt and some regular feed. Came back a couple of hours later and she hadn't touched the yogurt but greedily ate 1/3 of a scrambled egg.

An hour later I checked in she'd thrown up, but again greedily ate another 1/3 of a scrambled egg. I checked again just now (1.5 hrs since last time) and she’d thrown up the second bit of eggs. I offered her a tiny bit more egg which she again ate greedily. She’s drinking electrolyte water (Flock Fixer by Strong Animals) Appetite is good but throwing up is troubling. What now?

Would you take her to the vet? Or take a stool sample? I found one who specializes in poultry, but of course don't want to unnecessarily traumatize Tally... and the cost is an issue. But they're pets vs. livestock for us and we want to care for them as such. Vet's closed on Sundays but I could call in the morning if necessary?

If she's doing better tomorrow, the crate's in separate fenced area we could keep Tally in for a few days where everyone could see each other, and then put back in the crate at night. Before putting back out with the whole gang, trim Henny's nails and blunt his spurs. Put a saddle on her.

If she's not better in the morning, vet? What would you do?

I have to go out of town for 3 days starting Wednesday morning so really want this sorted before. I work at home, so check on the flock regularly, my husband is only here when he gets back from work so not so available...
Update: We went to the vet yesterday and unfortunately, Tally has Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Not good. We're giving her antibiotics and pain meds for 10 days and hoping that will give her more time... We're told that may give her 6-12 more months. Heartbreaking. That little gal on my shoulder just turned one in mid-September and it's going to be hard to lose her so soon. I was interested in hormone therapy to shut down her laying and avoid future EYP, but it's apparently very expensive and some versions are not approved by FDA for US though used in UK.

It is available in the US, you just have to find a vet that does it. But it is very expensive and has to be redone every 4-6 months usually. That is a personal decision and not everyone can spend that much on one chicken. The antibiotics will hopefully help and give her some more time. Sadly EYP usually recurs since the underlying cause is usually still there. I'm sorry that's the outcome, but glad that you know for sure what is going on, that makes it much easier to make decisions and reduces worries. :hugs

I'm so grateful for your kindness and support. The vet was looking specifically at an implant I asked about... perhaps there are other approved injectables vs. the implants, but as you say the cost is eye-watering and just beyond our means.

Back
Top Bottom