tame vs wild question

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Terri O, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I am considering getting some pigeons. Once I have them properly set up in the loft of my chicken coop and they are out flying and doing pigeon things; what are the chances that they will stay in the barn with the wild ones that live there and not return? Also the opposite; will the wild ones come into the pigeon loft with the tame ones? I do not know yet what variety I will keep, if that makes a difference. Thanks--Terri O in WI

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If your birds are trained well enough (as in, they know how to go back in and when), then they shouldn't stay with the ferals. There is a very good chance the ferals will follow them in once they figure out there's food in there. Mine have brought home a small flock of ferals from a training toss once. They didn't come in side but they landed on the roof and peered in. Only one feral has ever come in my loft. I saw it outside, so I uncovered the trap door, and he was a smart cookie - went right in after a few minutes of studying the door. I separated him, medicated him, got him fat and happy, and released him back into town. Had to be the most healthy feral pigeon in the county when I was done with him [​IMG]

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! Maybe I will just set it up and have the chickens tell the ferals to go in there...then I wont have to buy any pigeons! Terri O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by