Taming 4 Week Olds!

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Hello everyone! I hope you're enjoying the new update because I am. Anyways, I have six beautiful 4 week old chicks. My Buff Orpington and Easter Egger and sometimes even my Australorp will come when I tap or call them. I'm in the process of teaching my EE Bantam to come when called with mealworms because its the only one that knows how to eat them :lol: But, my sleepy Blue Cochin doesn't like moving around too much and will just sit in your lap and sleep. I also have a problem with a runt of a Barred Rock Bantam. She will just sit in your hand and sleep too, and even when the rest of the chicks are running around, she'll just sit in the spot you left her and sleep. I'm concerned for the BR Bantam.. So, any tips on how to tame them? Also, I want to know what other treats I can feed them because they can't eat mealworms!

I would get them some vitamins to put into the water. Give it to them a couple of times a week. Chicks that sleep too much concern me.

Chicks can eat grains and etc. if you give them chick grit. Manna pro sells it and it is a more finely ground version of chicken grit. They can eat scratch grains as a treat then. You can also chop up some kale for them.

Make sure not to give them too much though. They need to eat close to all of their feed as grower at that age.

I don't overdue it with treats for little ones like ronott1 said, they need the extra protein from the crumble while they are growing. I generally only give them something extra in the mornings when I let everyone out in the runs, a handful of garden greens, rolled oats, and mine love earthworms when I find them.

Thanks guys! What vitamins should I put in their water? They are eating and drinking lots of food. I think I might have to buy a few more containers! I've heard and seen chick grit, I'm going to buy it soon. I once offered them scrambled eggs, but they didn't touch it. I hear you can also feed them yogurt? True or false? Mine just appreciate food spread all over the place. And what fruits can I feed them, if any? Also, when can I start to let them scratch around in the dirt? I don't want them to pick up random things that are too strong for them. I know they like grass, but when should I introduce that? Also, I don't want to let the sleepy bantam out with the others when they go into the coop because I'm afraid it will not be able to produce heat or get sick, something like that, so when should I let them all out?? Also, what greens/veggies/things in general do your chicks like eating?

Thanks guys! What vitamins should I put in their water? They are eating and drinking lots of food. I think I might have to buy a few more containers! I've heard and seen chick grit, I'm going to buy it soon. I once offered them scrambled eggs, but they didn't touch it. I hear you can also feed them yogurt? True or false? Mine just appreciate food spread all over the place. And what fruits can I feed them, if any? Also, when can I start to let them scratch around in the dirt? I don't want them to pick up random things that are too strong for them. I know they like grass, but when should I introduce that? Also, I don't want to let the sleepy bantam out with the others when they go into the coop because I'm afraid it will not be able to produce heat or get sick, something like that, so when should I let them all out?? Also, what greens/veggies/things in general do your chicks like eating?
Chickens will often not eat much of a new food. The next time they will go crazy for it though.
You can give them grains and grass as soon as they are getting the grit. They need the grit to break down tough foods.

Chickens do not digest milk products. They do digest the protein though. Only give them a small amount of yogurt, like a tablespoon to share

Hello everyone! I hope you're enjoying the new update because I am. Anyways, I have six beautiful 4 week old chicks. My Buff Orpington and Easter Egger and sometimes even my Australorp will come when I tap or call them. I'm in the process of teaching my EE Bantam to come when called with mealworms because its the only one that knows how to eat them :lol: But, my sleepy Blue Cochin doesn't like moving around too much and will just sit in your lap and sleep. I also have a problem with a runt of a Barred Rock Bantam. She will just sit in your hand and sleep too, and even when the rest of the chicks are running around, she'll just sit in the spot you left her and sleep. I'm concerned for the BR Bantam.. So, any tips on how to tame them? Also, I want to know what other treats I can feed them because they can't eat mealworms!
I'd be concerned about the lethargic chicks also. Why can't they eat mealworms? I have a few chicks that are all over me when I go in to tend them. They've discovered that I give a mean wattle and facial massage. When I put them down, they are climbing back up my pant leg for more. I think that some of it is breed related. And, they know that I am the food bringer. IMO, it does not hurt chicks to have the food bowl get empty now and then. An empty food bowl will turn the chicks into your best friend.

Again, thank you! I guess its too tough for them? My EE Bantam is the only one.. I don't know, maybe they'll catch on later. Do you guys have any cool tricks to teach your chicks? Even with food in the container, it doesn't hurt to eat a little outside too!

My local Tractor Supply sells Chick Electrolytes and Nutri-Drench to add to the water. I would only do that for a day or two, I have heard it can cause diarrhea if given for several days. I mix the chick grit into the food to make sure they get it. As far as when they can have extra stuff, I have 1 week old chicks being raised by two broody moms and they had the babies outside at two days old scratching in the dirt, eating bugs and worms, grass, you name it. They can pretty much have anything, just make sure to supply the chick grit for them. I cut up apples, melons, tomatoes, and cucumbers for my flock when I find them on sale and the babies are right there with the rest. The moms pick off pieces and give them to the little ones.

Aw, that's cute! I guess as soon as I get the grit, I'll start feeding away! Also, any tips on how to train them to come with a call? I hear it's better/easier to do this when they're young.

Use food to call them. My flock associate me with food, so if they see me come into the gate they come at a run even if I don't have anything for them. For the ones that aren't paying attention, I just yell "chick, chick, chick" and here they come. You could whistle or make some other noise while you give them something yummy and they will make the connection.

Back
Top Bottom