Taming a rescue duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WaterfowlWierdo, Nov 9, 2013.

1. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I found a duck in the street a couples days ago far from any water of field even, right in the middle of the city. She isnt too afraid of people so I think she was owned by someone, I have been looking for the owner and no one has come up yet.

Anyway, if no one shows I want her to be more tame than she is. Does anyone have any tips on how I can calm her and make her feel at home therefore at ease

2. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    If it is a mallard, and not toe punched (hole in between toes, or missing last part of one toe) done and showed healed from when hatched, you could be prosicuted for having it captive if it cannot come and go. maybe clippied wing would be enough to say was a pet. anyone asks later if you keep say you bought from fea market as roun duck ect..

That said, if found in street could be from escaped ethnic cooking, dumped duck, or more likely wild mallard that got separated maybe bumped by car (they'd come into major city in middle of downtown to forage and beg for food so much they got used to being played with and held even. when id call my rollers and parlors ect in to get main meal, they learned somehow that there maybe more food in my apt, and started just waddling or flying in when id open my back door or window (no screen, as manager was dead beat). I thought of bringin with when moved out to country on pond and spring fed streams ect on three acres, but someone decided to let their dogs tear them apart before moved even.

peas, mealworms, nightcrawlers, crickets, minnows, ect (basically anything small easily found for fishing bait), lettuce/ leafy greens (dandilions are best for, lettuce worst for), should work. Stay away from bait stores especially, as they use chemicals and bait critters full of parisites and disease generally, though never heard of bothering ducks.. get it a female friend or two as soon as possible, as they feel much more secure then. use small guage hardware wire for cage, as chicken wire worthless for keeping preds and pests that would hurt your duck/s out. make sure your duck has enough water to put whole head in and shake around or will eventually choke/suffocate and die (they need to clean out nose mouth and eyes that food and debris build up in. don't use cedar as can be toxic. I find a grate, or at least grated container (litter box or bigger) under about middle of water (some say use water jugs with hole cut in to stop ducks from getting most water around), to work best for my flock of scovys. also ACV (apple cider vinager), seems to help make my ducks happy and healthy. have fun with it and keep us posted.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  3. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Thankyou so much for the tips! I already have a mallard drake and this one happened to be a hen! so that is working out great!

As far as being prosecuted I dont think my state has a law for it because I havent heard of anyone marking their mallards. But just in case I will ask if my "feed store" ducks need to be marked

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well that sure worked out great. Dried meal worms are a great way to get up close and personal with your ducks. [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I find just spending time near them, offering treats and talking helps. And patience. Loads and loads of patience.

6. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    That is what I did when my goose was a baby, that worked great, especially talking to them, I feel that your voice will sooth them whereas silence is eery/predator like

7. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I used meal worms for my quail and it helped, but they are quail so its difficult. I have never heard of giving them to ducks and I will have to give it a shot!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I do believe my flock would do a song and dance for meal worms.

9. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Haha Good to know! I was always worried about feed because my goose had angel wing (I was able to reverse it) and it was from my brothers feeding her wierd stuff

10. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Just for your information, Those are Federal Laws, Federal penalties, Not State laws.

Clint

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by