Taming Chicks

OH, i think you know a lot. Plus you are inspired to share it. You know it from the Living It point of view. You know, there are vets who specialize in poultry, mostly for commercial applications. You might want to get some involvement from them for the pure science end. Thanks for all your advice!

Chooks4life - just had to let you know. My chicks are 4 weeks old now. Early on you had advised me to call them "chook, chook, chook" whenever giving them a treat. I've been doing that consistently and loving seeing them run in their brood er to see what I've got. This morning I just had them out for a little outing in what will be their run. Before I rounded them back up to go back to their brooder I grabbed a bunch of clover (one of their favorites), crouched down at one end of the run and called "chook, chook, chook!" And they came running!!!!
wee.gif

Yeah, my chicks can't resist a treat,lol. I haven't messed with them overly though they are probably the most docile/friendly group of chicks I have ever had. (Buff Brahmas) I would say just take it easy with them, don't chase them, let them become accustomed to your presence etc. I know, not the most sage advice but it works for me!

@jdoane: That's good to hear. It really is a case of whatever you find works for you. The main reason I use 'chook chook chook' apart from the earlier reasons I stated is that on a large property it carries better than many other sounds and is instantly recognizable from any other loud noises that might occur on a farm. A lot of our animal calls evolved through trial and usage into simplified syllables that carry well at volume without straining the voice. We do talk normally to them when they're close by, (compliments always go down a treat with pretty much every species I have ever had any experience with) but for calling home far-ranging chickens at an unusual time of day, the simple call is best. Sometimes a buyer will arrive unannounced when all my poultry are out foraging and I'd have no other way to retrieve them that day without them being trained. So helpful. ;)

@springchicken10: I hope to compile what I've learnt that might be of use to others into a coherent collection at some time in future and thanks for the encouragement. I am learning a lot on this site, too, there's always more to learn. The more I learn, the more I know how much I'll never know, as they say. Best wishes.

@MargaretAnneHK: Whatever works for you is what's the best route for you to take. Nobody should be afraid to experiment either. I've trialed and discarded many methods and beliefs along the way, but some of them are valid to others and work for them. There are no two flocks the same anywhere, I believe, even if they look the same.

Just want you to know I was very successful at training my chicks to hop up and eat from my hands. They grew to be big birds (ALL ROOSTERS), and they continued to hop up well into adulthood. They have been sold to two people who thought that was really charming. Of course it works best when they are really hungry LOL

Just want you to know I was very successful at training my chicks to hop up and eat from my hands. They grew to be big birds (ALL ROOSTERS), and they continued to hop up well into adulthood. They have been sold to two people who thought that was really charming. Of course it works best when they are really hungry LOL
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear they were all males and you had to give them away, but I'm sure their new owners are thrilled with the results of your dedicated work with them. :) Makes everything easier, teaching your animals to trust you and come when called.

With mine, I would always call them for normal food, but also at random times during the month go out and call them for special treats, so they remained in the habit of coming whenever called, even if they've already had their main meal for the day. Some chooks forget rather quickly why they ought to come unless you do the maintenance work with something special and irresistible. Some will always come no matter what. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom